Saturday, August 18, 2007

8/12/07 Shooting Stars.....NOT!

It wasn't too long after we all got up this morning that it reached 100 degrees. Little did we know that it would just keep climbing. By mid-afternoon we topped out at 107 degrees! Can you say....damn hot!


When I went in at 11 I was dreading the workday ahead of me. Today is the day that everyone leaves and it is up to us to bring the campground back to the clean and orderly condition it is usually in. I wondered what five particular cabins were going to look like even though the outsides of them were cleared of all trash. ;-)


Thankfully, Barb stepped up to the plate and did half the work since it was so incredibly hot today. She took four of "those" cabins and I took the cottage. Sure enough, there was trash left inside and dishes left in the sink of the cottage. (The cabins were clean.) In addition to having to take care of dish washing, taking the trash out and putting the furniture back where it belonged I discovered that the pots and pans were missing! Why am I not surprised? Needless to say these people are not welcome back to this campground! Notes have already been put in the computer should they call again.


It was a quiet afternoon and Barb and I decided that we would go swimming tonight to try to cool off. Now this is the first time I've been in the pool even though it is directly across the street from our house. Of course its Barb's first time this year too! I went over at 8:30 and walked right into the pool. It was so warm. In fact, it was too warm! I really couldn't tell much difference from the now 103 degree air temperature and the water. It wasn't refreshing at all. The pool usually closes at nine but it stayed open a little longer this evening since we were swimming too. Well, since we were standing in the water too is probably a better description. We did take notice of all the stars out tonight and remembered that this is the night that the meteor showers were to be in full force, around one in the morning. I had made up my mind that I would be out to see the shooting stars. The night was so clear that I was sure it was going to be a spectacular show, one that wouldn't be seen like this again by anyone who is now living, at least that's what it said on the computer where they gave the particulars on where to look and at what time.

Bob isn't one for swimming in a pool or in a river, lake or ocean for that matter, so he stayed cool inside tonight.

Around eleven I started to get tired and had serious doubts about being up to see the meteor show. Sure enough I fell off to sleep but for some reason did wake at 2 a.m.. I remembered what is going on outside in the sky and jumped out of bed. Bob was up watching TV in the living room and said that a storm was in the area. Sure enough I went outside and the sky was cloud covered! No shooting stars for me on this night.

No comments: