Tuesday, August 7, 2007

8/3 - 8/5/07 Three Words.....

HOT
HOT
HOT
OK, OK, I can do more than three words but THAT word is on every one's lips around here I hope to tell ya!
We have temps in the high 90's with the heat index at 105 degrees or higher. We haven't had a decent rain in weeks and everything that once was green is now a dead brown color. What we wouldn't do for a few nights of a slow steady rain. (Take notice that I want it to rain during the night.)
We talked to friends of ours recently who are in rain soaked Texas and they have had rain for 34 out of the past 38 days. I guess if we had to choose between our weather and theirs I would take what we have, at least we can get into air conditioning.
Its been one busy weekend here in the campground. Almost all spaces are taken and the pool has been very busy as is the float business.
It was decided this weekend that with the weather forecast for the next week (temps at 100, heat index even higher than that) that Bob won't be replacing a Kamper Kabin roof, at least not this week. The humidity still isn't bad its just the heat that kills ya!
We had a camper come in to register on Thursday and after talking with him for just a few minutes he asked where on the east coast I was from. I was surprised he asked me that and he said my accent gave me away. I didn't know I had an accent! I talk just like everybody else in Delaware!
Turns out he was from Pennsylvania years ago.
I spent some time with this camper, Joe, and his wife, Rhonda and their family one evening. I've heard it a hundred times and I've said it myself, you meet the nicest people camping. They may get another weekend here before we leave and I'm hoping they do.
Our air conditioner is really getting a workout, it seems to run continuously without a break. We make sure we turn it up to 78 degrees during out workday and only turn it down to 75 when we're home. In addition we're running three fans just to keep the air moving.
We're off Monday and Tuesday but I don't know what we'll get into or where we'll go, its too hot to do much of anything. We'd like to see the Botanical Gardens and the St. Louis Zoo but that "ain't gonna happen" in this heat! Can you imagine what the monkey house smells like in 100 plus degree heat? We don't want to find out.
We've been busy in the camp store selling ice! It seems every time I turn around I have to re-fill the ice freezer. Bob has been kept busy with electrical problems. Well, its not that the electric is the problem its the campers who come in and turn on everything at once in addition to trying to cool down hot rigs and breakers start tripping. They automatically think the problem is the power pedestal instead of looking at what they are expecting from 30 amps.
25 work days to go!

No comments: