Sunday, November 25, 2007

11/19/07 Our First Day at Work

Well, we're back in the workforce, such as it is. As I explained earlier we get our site and utilities in exchange for 3 days of "work".

We made our way to the Oasis to meet our other team members. After introductions, Bruce and Deann went over the activities that are planned and what each entailed as far as we workampers were concerned.

Since there was nothing really going that we had to do with we were sent home for the day at eleven. I am liking this!

While I was there a group of ladies were doing Zipper Art in the crafts room. I've never heard of this before and was fascinated with what they were doing. I was sorry I didn't have the camera with me. (Note to self: Take camera everywhere) Each kit comes with a very long zipper, a stencil on paper, a square, canvas covered Styrofoam thing and colored sand. The material on each side of the zipper has to be stripped away leaving only the silver metal zipper. The zipper is then placed on the bold lines of the stencil held in place with straight pins. That's as far as this group got so I don't know what happens next, something to do with the sand. I wish I had known about this because I think I would enjoy making one of these works of art. Fortunately, several other women who just arrived also want to do it so orders for the kits will be taken on Monday.

Today we found out that the White Team is responsible for the Thanksgiving dinner. A list of what needs to be done was already prepared so we learned what our assigned task was. Bob will help set up tables, carve two turkeys and get the cranberry sauce and gravy on the tables. I have to help prepare the turkeys for cooking, help Bob carve two and prepare the leftover gravy for freezing.

There will be 132 attending the Thanksgiving dinner. On the sign up sheet you put your name next to what you want to bring. Since we just got here a few days ago a lot of things were already filled in. I put our names on the relish tray line. I could have picked stuffing for eleven.....I don't think so.

Since this is a big dinner to put on all the teams will work on Thanksgiving Day.

We spent the afternoon grinning and asking each other if this was a great job or what?! Two hours of meeting new people and watching Zipper Art being done.

Bob puttered the afternoon away and I sat on the patio and read for awhile.

What a good day this was!

No comments: