Friday, December 10, 2010

12/10/2010 Carpet Ordering Day

The day has finally arrived! A trip to Home Depot to order the carpet is on my agenda. I’ve been back and forth between Lowe’s and Home Depot looking at carpet several times and had decided on more than a few that would be installed at Site # 5. Since today is the day they come to measure I thought I’d better make a final decision and know what’s going in.

I’ve got a lot to accomplish today as I have nothing in the fridge or the cupboards, I tried to figure out what I could make with a jar of maraschino cherries, a shriveled onion, one piece of Oscar Mayer bologna, assorted can goods and leftover cole slaw from THANKSGIVING that I found pushed to the back of the fridge. It probably would have been ok but the green fuzzy stuff just didn’t whet my appetite. Not only the grocery store is on my list but I have to stop at Walmart or Target and the bank. I’ve three hours to get this all done as the carpet measure guy comes anywhere between two and four.

On the way into Home Depot I’m walking across the parking lot, remember I drive The Beast and have to park out in no man’s land so I can take up more than one space without making anyone mad, and this vehicle coming towards me stops when it gets to me. My first thought was somebody needed directions and was stopping to ask. Uh-uh. I smiled at them, they smiled at me and the lady says, Hey, how are you? I replied fine and was waiting for “Can you tell us how to get to….” but that didn’t come. She then proceeded to tell me they were in Val Vista for the winter and its now hitting me that she thinks know me. Thankfully, it was a sunny day and I had sun glasses on because I didn’t want them to see my utter confusion because I KNEW I didn’t know them. Next thing I know she’s asking something about Bob. OMG, she DOES know me! I’m listening intently for any clue that they may let slip so I know who the hell I’m talking with. Nothing was coming. Then she said, I bet your here to pick up something for the platform bed. AHA! A BLOG READER! Well, let me tell you, my head swelled! Here I am thinking this couple recognized me from blog pictures and I am so amazed that they could pick me out from 20 feet away in Home Depot’s parking lot. Oh Snook,,,GET REAL GIRLFRIEND! It was at this point that he realized I didn’t know their names. As soon as he said their names and what town they were from it was like I was seeing them for the first time and I knew immediately who they were and where I had met them. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to ask if it was ok with them if I mentioned their names in my blog. I kinda got called out on the carpet recently about mentioning someone on the blog without asking them first if it was ok or not. So I told myself that I wouldn’t do that again! So my Chandler, Arizona friends, it was great to see you and we’ll see you again when we travel up your way in February. Maybe we can even spend the evening in the hot tub again!

Back to the carpet. I’d had visions of this deep luxurious pile but had those plans scrapped after talking with neighbors Wendy and Grant. They have deep luxurious carpet and they hate it! Why? Who wouldn’t love stepping onto soft cushiony carpet first thing in the morning? Well, everyone would like that but when you live in the desert it just isn’t practical. The sand makes it way deep down into the pile and you can’t get it out. Of course this carpet also costs an arm and a leg too. Silly me, I thought I could just buy three strips to go around the platform bed and they would piece them together with invisible seams and I wouldn’t mind paying $23.99 a square yard since we wouldn’t need much at all. HA! We would have to buy enough carpet to do the entire room even though there is a queen sized platform bed and built in dresser and closet/drawers. There will be no piecing together of carpet in this room and there will also be no carpet at $23.99 a square yard either!

I had to rethink this whole thing now. I was wishing Bob was with me but when he heard I also had to go to the grocery store and a few other stops, well, I was on my own!

I finally picked one out that would hide dirt well feel good underfoot and was glad to hear that they happened to have a remnant that was marked down 25% plus our military discount. Oh yeah, the Queen of Cheap is happy now!

That done, I got the bank out of the way, stopped at Walmart and was halfway through the grocery store, the very crowded grocery store, when the carpet guy called to let me know he was on his way. I abandoned my grocery chores, checked out what I had collected already and got home just as fast as I could. I had all the information to give him for the remnant and size and all that stuff and as I pulled up he was walking out the door. I never got to give him any info that I rushed home for. He said someone would call and I could give it to them. I just stood there and stared as he drove away. I rushed home. I didn’t even finish shopping.

2 comments:

Earl&Chris Chandler said...

Loved seeing you again..even though it was in a parking lot. Hope you look us up when you get to Val Vista.

LaVon Baker said...

I've had that happen to me! And just today, I received an email from someone that I have no recollection of, so I swallowed my pride and asked her in a reply where we met. Hope to hear back from her.