Sunday, December 5, 2010

11/30-12/5/2010 A Whirlwind Week

Let me start this with an apology. I know that some of you come here everyday to read whatever I may have posted and this week I just didn’t have time. It has been one thing after another. I’m sorry you had to look at the same page everyday, I’ll really, really try to do better.

This past week has included several trips to town,,,,big surprise huh? We’ve bought stuff, returned it, bought more stuff and returned that too. Things we see in the store seem to look so different once we get them home. We were looking for a small area rug to put in the middle of the living room. We don’t know why it just seemed the thing to do. Anyway, we found two in Home Depot that we couldn’t decide between so we brought them both home. Neither one looked right when we laid them out. Bob finally said, “You know, I worked so hard on this floor, why do we want to cover it up?” Yeah, why do we? That settled that! No area rug. However we did buy a small throw rug for right in front of his chair.

His chair. He has a new chair! We went to so many stores looking for a recliner. At first all the ones we liked were just too big for the space. We had passed a furniture warehouse dozens and dozens of times and had taken notice of the Open to the Public sign. I went alone the first time and went home and told him I think I found what we were looking for but he needed to see it too. So back to town we go and the chair fits him perfectly. Of course he’ll only have it for a few weeks before we move out but he’ll enjoy it now. We bought it one day and they delivered it the next. When paying for it I said my usual line, “Do you give a military discount?” The answer was no but the man said he would waive the $30.00 delivery fee. Works for me!

IMG_6944

We have taken down and cleaned all the blinds and the curtains go in this week for cleaning. I don’t know if they’ll get put back up. I would rather not because to me, here in the desert, they are just dust collectors. Bob, on the other hand, thinks it looks bare without them. We’ll see.

IMG_6947

As you can see in the picture above, we are having beautiful sunny days. The cold front has passed and we’re back in shorts and T’s as our highs are in the mid to high 70’s.

I’m almost sorry that we are renting the park model out. Take notice I said almost. I know this is something we need to do because we have to live in our new 5th wheel while its still under warranty. Oh yeah, the 5th wheel. On one of our many trips to town we stopped at Norris RV to find out if they are doing the Norcold Refrigerator recall. They are and ten minutes before we arrived they received an email telling them that the parts are on backorder for 4 weeks. That wouldn’t be so bad but Norcold is saying outright that you should NOT use the fridge! WHAT? Not use our fridge? How can we live in it without using our fridge? Until this part is put in there is a chance of fire. Between you and me, I would not have a problem using the fridge because I think they say that to cover their butts. Bob has been following the forums on this subject and 99% are going along with business as usual. Of course they aren’t Bob! He has already let me know in no uncertain terms that our fridge will not go until the parts are replaced. What will probably end up happening is we will have to rent a refrigerator until ours is fixed. Hopefully the parts will arrive sooner than expected, we’re hoping they sent that email out saying four week backlog just to cover their butts and when they come in early they look good. We’re hoping.

This past Saturday I spent the morning at the Arizona City Post Office from nine to twelve manning a registration booth for the Arizona City Children’s Christmas Party. Take note its a CHRISTmas Party, not a holiday party, a CHRISTmas party. So many of the kids have been registered already through school but I managed to bring in 18 more registrations so the morning wasn’t a total loss. I was just thankful it was a warm morning.

Sunday brought some serious shopping. My friend, Marilyn and I went to the shopping center in search for a magazine rack, valances and something decorative for a corner. Well, $250 and 8 bags later I returned home. This is so incredibly unlike me. I just don’t spend money like this. I shopped and I shopped hard. I didn’t look at prices, well that’s not true, I did look I just didn’t pay too much attention to them. Again, so unlike me. I’m never shopping with Marilyn again. She’s dangerous. I see now that I spend with abandon when I’m with her.

The last major project we have is the bedroom. We have to get the carpet in the bedroom replaced so Bob pulled the old carpet up today. Tomorrow he will work on raising the platform on the platform bed. It is much too low so he’s going to raise it six more inches and he’ll put wainscoting around the bottom because I won’t have a bedspread that reaches the floor from now on to hide the plain wood of the platform base. I’ve ordered a new quilt and it should be delivered this week. As I said, the platform now is way too low. the top of the mattress comes to the middle of my knee! That’s low! I was hoping to replace the mattress this year but that’s going to have to wait until next.

Another thing we’ve been doing this past week is making arrangements for workamping positions for next summer. We’ve locked in 2.5 months for a lake area in North Dakota. We’re also looking for a 2.5 month stint in either South Dakota or Oklahoma.

It’s been a busy week. And we are both looking forward to some relaxing time,,,,,especially Bob! He is doing such a great job on all the projects. I’m so grateful that he is so talented.

5 comments:

Lou said...

For what it is worth. We lucked out and just happen to be staying at the Lazydays RV Campground outside on Tampa when we found out about the Norcold recall. The senior tech (old school) that did the needed repair (at out site I might add, 30 minutes) told me that the main reason they are doing the recall was to cover their butts because the way the system was, was to easy for the consumer to by pass it by just using a jumper wire. The replacement part is now electronic, so therefore can not be jumped. The recall covers units from 1997 thru 2010. Like I said.....what it is worth.

Karen and Al said...

I'd be interested in where and what lake in North Dakota you'll be work camping at. Hubby has family up in the Jamestown, ND area.

cruzin2some said...

Boy, it has been a busy week for you guys. It's time to take a break and enjoy. The floor really looks nice and that recliner looks pretty comfortable. Dawn hated it I bought a recliner. We visited about twnety stores before I found the right one.

Travel Safe

Anonymous said...

Sounds like y'all are busy, busy. You might check out Overstock.com for household items, especially rugs. They have a very low shipping rate too. Buy from them regularly and very pleased with their merchandise.

LaVon Baker said...

What months are you looking to maybe be in Oklahoma and what part of Oklahoma?

Floor looks awesome. I agree. Don't cover it.