Friday, May 13, 2011

5/10–5/13/2011 I Spoke Too Soon!

Remember I said spring was in the air here in South Dakota? Uh-uh. Scratch that. You didn’t read that. Never mind. I lied.


It’s damn cold here! We’re not getting out of the 40’s now. I’ve all but packed away shorts and T’s since I had to bring out sweat shirts and winter jackets and long pants.


The past two days we haven’t done much more than stay inside keeping busy, go to the finance center to get direct deposit set up and to the Commissary for salad fixin’s.


Today we braved the elements, low temps and wind, and got the FamCamp office cleaned up and dusted and swept. Sherry and I made camper packets up so we’re ready for the onslaught of campers. Yeah, onslaught. It seems that this time last year the Outdoor Rec office had already fielded 500 calls about camping in the Ellsworth FamCamp. So far this year….five calls. FIVE! Don’t let it be said that the high price of gas/diesel isn’t putting a damper on summer traveling. I can only imagine how empty Alaska will be this year.


We still have a few things to get done before our opening on Monday,,,or we just may wait until Monday, after all, there’s only a few people here and we’ll need something to do anyway.


Today Sherry and I went to the gym. We did laps around the upper floor of the gym but I think I would like it better on a treadmill in front of the wall of TV’s. I’m going to change my walking venue and see if I can get farther than I did today. I’m not even going to get into how many laps I did. I will say I did more than seven and less than eighty three. And tomorrow, when we go back, I will walk further than I did today. Maybe by the end of next week I may even be on the machines and handling free weights. Right now I’m focusing on just getting to the gym tomorrow, Sherry is very much into exercising and fitness. By the end of next week I’ll either think she’s the greatest thing since sliced bread…or I’ll hate her.

2 comments:

Peggy & Bill said...

Sorry you are having such lousy weather. By August it will be beautiful! Don't ask me about June & July, we weren't there so I don't know.

Peggy & Bill said...

How much traveling do you do while you are there? I know Watertown, SD is on the East side of the state, but Redlin Art Center (Terry Redlin, artist) has a beautiful place there if you get a chance to visit.