Saturday, May 14, 2011

5/14/2011 What’s In a Name?

This post has been a long time coming. I’ve been collecting pictures for it here there and everywhere.


Webster’s says the meaning of the word NAME is as follows:


noun. a word or a combination of words by which a person, place, or thing, a body or class, or any object of thought is designated, called, or known.


Unlike many of you I cannot go into a tourist type store and buy a cute little trinket with my name on it. I have never seen my name written on anything.


Oh sure, I can get something with my given name on it. I can find coffee cups…


IMG_5495


….or if I wanted to find a kid’s puzzle with my given name on it, hey piece of cake, I could get one!


IMG_5488


If my sister-in-law went to the beach and wanted to get a little bottle with sand and shells inside with her name emblazoned across the front all she would have to do is go to the nearest tourist trap store.


IMG_5114


Want a license plate with the name of the beach on it, in your state colors and YOUR NAME??? Well if you have a somewhat common name like my friend, not a problem!


IMG_5116


Want a necklace ornament,,,that’s all I can call this because they are so darn big and heavy, portraying the local sea life? Want to add your name to that? If this is your name like my Quail Run friend, you have no worries!


IMG_5120


Seems almost everyone can get their name on a coffee cup…except me. Another good Quail Run friend could go into any shop that sells touristy things anywhere in America and get a cup with HER name on it.


IMG_5121


This friend has a summer beach house and could have tons and tons of things with HER name,,,of course that would be totally tacky, but she COULD!


IMG_5123


My name should be between Shirley and Stephanie,,,,but no, no Snookie is seen on the rack.


IMG_5486


When I was a little girl I never ever had a placemat with a pink (?) pumpkin carriage with MY name on it.


IMG_5487


My bike never had a license plate either.


IMG_5492


Why do Sierra and Savannah get signs for their doors and Snookie doesn’t????


IMG_5493


It’s just not fair, but then whoever said life was? Don’t feel bad for me friends,,,I haven’t truly done without. Things are made SPECIAL ORDER after all.


This is a keychain I had made many years ago on the boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland. Thing is so damn cheap I wouldn’t put a key to an old suitcase on it but I just had to have it!


IMG_7086


Several years ago a friend of mine told me about these sweatshirts. My name is written in mirror image,,,tilt your head to the right.


IMG_7087


My friend Diane, from Quail Run, had these made for several friends in the park. It sits on my counter everyday.


IMG_7083


So really, think about it. What’s in a name?

5 comments:

HelenM said...

My poor daughter Erin Kathleen Maguire had the same problem, Snookie. Never did we realize that we were christening her with a name that would NOT be found, preprinted, anywhere! DISNEYLAND had a keychain! The first!!! Now, Erin is a fairly common name, but not in the 60's!

Deann said...

I know you are hating SD right now but I think you will love it very soon. I lived and worked in Sturgis for 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed the summers out there. We have lots of friends and family in Rapid City so if you need anything, let me know and I will hook you up. BTW, the cold you are experiencing is not typical at all.

Glenis H. said...

Just so you know you have my 'sympathy', I never find 'Glenis' on any name trinkets either.

Enjoy South Dakota; it is one of our favourite states! Check out Spearfish Canyon road in September when it is decked out in autumn splendor.

LaVon Baker said...

I hear you, Sista! I have never found anything with my name on it. When I graduated high school, our neighbor lady made me a little china tea cup and saucer with my name beautifully written in gold on the cup. That's it. Now I don't know where that cup is. In storage, I think.

TheTinTent said...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

I enjoy reading your blog.
Have fun exploring the Black Hills, much to do and see.