Thursday, January 5, 2012

1/2-1/5/2012 Back to Work in the New Year

It was back to work for us this first week of the new year. Bob still isn't 100% but he's feeling better than he was.

While out and about I took this picture of this strangely growing tree here in the park. Take not that is actually growing out of the ground in the shaded area.


On Tuesday we had an telephone interview for positions as camp hosts in Delaware where we were in 2010. We thought the interview was going great, the interviewer seemed very pleased with the answers we gave to her questions and we were feeling good about the way it was going. Then just before we hung up she dropped this….”Thank you for your time for the interview but I have to tell you, we don’t have much of anything available with the couples who are returning from last year.” Practically the same breath she told us we would be contacted by her supervisor for a second interview on Friday. If you don’t have anything then why call us in the first place? Why interview us? Why give us a second interview on Friday? We were dumbfounded. “What just happened here?” were what the looks we were giving each were saying. We so much wanted to go back to Delaware this summer to see our families and friends. Of course we knew this could happen and we were prepared to start looking in neighboring states for workamping positions. However, we weren’t prepared to give up on Delaware yet. There were other positions besides camp hosts at the Inlet. I put fingers to keyboard and started emailing people we know for some help. We would give it a few days and then start searching in neighboring states. It wouldn’t be ideal and we wouldn’t get home as much as we would like but it was better than nothing. It was a “Make lemonade out of lemons” type of situations for us.

On Wednesday we got a call from the Marina the state park system runs and were offered workamping positions as Marina Attendants. What does one do in this job you ask? Well, primarily we will shuttle boaters from the parking lot when they drop off their truck/trailers after putting their boats in the water, back to the docks. We’ll also settle disputes when two boaters can’t agree who got to the ramp first to use it. I’ll help with Marina festival when it comes time for that and Bob will help out with projects around the marina during slow times. One of our emails helped. One on our contacts got the ball rolling and made things happen for us. THANKS J! So we’re going home for the summer. Yes readers, I’m gonna make your eyes bleed with sunset pictures!

Bob and I have already made plans to do something that is on Bob’s bucket list on our way home. Something he has wanted to do for a really, really long time. I’m not going to give any details yet but I will say that campground reservations have already been made and tickets are already bought. It is going to be something special and I can’t wait to share it all with you but the now isn’t the time.

We picked up Toni and Eddie from the airport on Wednesday afternoon so now we have everyone back from trips home and we can get on with the season.

1 comment:

Russ Krecklow said...

Looking forward to the pictures.