Tuesday, November 3, 2009

11/3/2009 Line Dancing & Horseshoes

We were up early this morning, me by choice and Bob because I wasn’t exactly quiet.

Its line dancing day and I was looking forward to the class. A few more in class this week which is reflective of the winter residents arriving. Not as many groans this week, some,,,,but not as many. I must be getting more limber. As usual this fun class was over all too soon.

I had enough time to get home, get something to drink and head back out. This time it was a trip to the horseshoe pits. I have never played a whole game of horseshoes. Ever. For the last two years I have participated in the Winter Olympics games but that’s the throwing the shoes a few times and its over. Shoes, that’s what us players call em’. Not horseshoes, just shoes. Since I have all the time in the world to play this year I’ve decided to join the Tuesday morning league.

So I get there and since it is very early in the year there were only four players and Donna as our scorekeeper.

IMG_2608

Now I didn’t know a whole lot about the terminology of horseshoes. I don’t know if these terms are used throughout or just here in Quail Run. Let me explain.

There is a wooden structure around the steel pole in the ground that you are supposed to land the ‘shoe around.

IMG_2617

You are not supposed to hit the wood when you throw, if you do and the horseshoe is close enough for a point it won’t count. That’s called a “woodie”. Or maybe that’s woody, spelling never came into it.

Right in front of the pit is another piece of material and if your horseshoe hits that,,,,you guessed it, no points. This material is a strip of rubber.

IMG_2618

So now we have woodies and rubbers. Hmmmm. Somehow those terms just don’t make me think about horseshoes. Admit, it doesn’t make YOU think of the horseshoes either.

Obviously, unlike the men, the ladies in the park weren’t comfortable calling out for the scorekeeper that so and so has a woodie or give so and so a rubber. Nope, that wasn’t gonna work. The terminology changes a little on Tuesday mornings. I’ve learned that we have “borders and Trojans”.

Now form is everything! Here I am throwing a ‘shoe. Take note of the follow through with my throwing arm.

IMG_2614

Here’s LaDonna leaning over her extended leg for balance.

IMG_2605

Here’s Janet, throwing her ‘shoe with the all important smile on her face. After all this is fun and we certainly want to project that to newcomers, Good job, Janet!

IMG_2612

Then we have Marlene. There are no words to caption this picture with.

IMG_2613

I enjoyed my first day at horseshoes. I learned the rules and the (ahem) terminology. While I didn’t make any ringers I did make some points for my team.

Bob has the new electrical wires all run now and is starting to put in the electrical outlets.

IMG_2602

By the time he’s done we’ll have electrical outlets wherever we could possibly use one. I’m so glad he knows how to do all these things!

No comments: