Saturday, November 7, 2009

11/7/2009 Bob Goes Four-wheelin’

Bob was up at five this morning. On purpose. I was up at five this morning….quite by mistake.

Our friend, Al Winters, was picking Bob up at six to go four-wheelin’ with him in his ‘97 Jeep Cherokee Sport. They had a hundred mile trek to meet up with the Casa Grande Four Wheeler’s, a group that Al will be accepted into this week. He’s done his required two runs and attended the required two meetings.

So while Bob was out doing his guy thing I was at home enjoying very much a ME day. More about that later.

Here they are getting ready at the meeting place.

003

Our friend, Al, waiting to get started.

004

They’re off!

006

008

The terrain is getting rougher.

009

Some colorful trees along the way.

011

This is an old mercury mine.

013

Some narrow roads and steep drop offs.

015

Break time.

023

Al making his way over the rocks.

024

I wouldn’t want to bounce my way over this kind of road way. It must be a guy thing.

025

027

039

There was pretty scenery along the way.

041

They also spotted some wildfires.

043

The rocks and ravines seem to be getting bigger.

046

053

Bob really liked doing this today with Al. So much so that he came home in the late afternoon and immediately got online to see what kind of vehicles were available in the area to do this with. Oh boy.

I spent my day reading, taking some bike rides around the park, talking to back home friends and hanging out with Quail Run friends. No schedules, no chores, do what I want, when I want. A perfect ME day.

Halfway through eating dinner, Chuck and Janet stopped by to see if we wanted to go into town to go to the Cold Stone Creamery. Bob had put in quite a day and declined but I jumped up and said, “Give me a minute to cover my plate with foil and I’ll be right with ya!” No way was I passing up this delicious ice cream. The hell with my dinner! So into town we go and I knew what I was having before we even got there. Creamy butter pecan ice cream in a waffle dish. Oh yes! Chuck and Janet were kind enough to treat me to my ice cream. Thanks friends, I do appreciate it.

So Bob and I both had very nice and enjoyable days in our own way. You just have to do this sometimes. Everybody needs a break in this 24/7 world of togetherness in retirement.

2 comments:

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

It certainly must be a guy thing. I would be terrified to ride on those trails! Glad you had a great ME day. I agree, sometimes you just need those days to keep your sanity. And we need to make a trip to the Cold Stone Creamery for the cone I owe you.

LaVon Baker said...

That looks a lot like the trail Don and I drove on in the Aqua Fria two years ago, but we weren't in a Jeep!

What???!!! Again, you did not take your camera to the Cold Stone Creamery??? What has happened to the girl who taught me to never leave the house without my camera?