Friday, January 14, 2011

1/14/2011 A Little Out of Sorts

I had a doctor’s appointment today. No, I don’t have a cold, or a sprain or anything like that.

I’ve been out of sorts for the past several weeks. I haven’t been doing much of anything. I pretty much stay in the house and this isn’t me, not by a long shot.

A good friend here in the park came to see what was going on as she hadn’t seen me out and about. After a chat with her I finally faced the fact that this wasn’t something that was just going to go away on its own nor was it something that Bob and I could fix on our own and that I had better see a doctor.

So today I went and met with Dr. K.. I haven’t needed a doctor here and he took my Tricare military insurance so that’s how I found him. My appointment was at 10:15 and I finally got in to see him at 11:45. Not a great first impression but then again what doctor ever runs on time?

I liked him immediately. He listened to me….he really listened. He asked me questions and gave me possible answers to choose from when I hesitated and some of the answers were spot on but I would have never given that answer on my own because I wouldn’t have thought of it in that way. I don’t know how he does that but what a gift!

I felt so comfortable with him and that’s saying something because I’m not a doctor person.

I really, really liked him….until…..he said that what is bothering me could possibly be physical and he couldn’t know that without BLOODWORK! He immediately transferred himself from new best friend status to THE LIST. You know what list I’m talkin’ about.

Before I left him I asked why he kept me waiting for an hour and a half and his answer was: “My first patient of the day needed me and I couldn’t at the end of 15 minutes say hey, your 15 minutes is up, just like I haven’t done that to you.” That answer was good enough for me and truly spoke volumes.

So he told me where to get the blood work done which was just four pods down the hall. I walked as slowly as I possibly could because this walk to me, one who HATES NEEDLES was like walking the last mile.

I finally arrived and give the lady my paperwork and she says they’ll be right with me. There is no one else in the waiting room. Darn. I decided I had better give them fair warning about what may or may not occur. I have been known to pass out during this process of having my blood sucked right out of me. She assures me all will be okay. Yeah right.

Well, the phlebotomist must have been finishing up lunch because I sat and waited and sat and waited and this is not a good thing. It gives me too much time to think. To think about that very sharp piece of metal that is going to pierce my skin. Once inserted it sure to move as they change tubes and that will hurt too!

You guessed it, by the time they called me back I was damn near hysterical. Well, not really hysterical but the tears were flowing at this point.

I get settled in the seat, turned my head as far as I could and had the chair armrest in a death grip with my right hand, ready to hang on for dear life.

The rubber band was placed around my upper arm and the man started feeling for my veins. Now I’m really crying because I know what/s coming next. I am such a wuss when it comes to this! The sad part is after its all over I know it wasn’t that bad. However, the anticipation KILLS ME! The phlebotomist, a very nice guy kept talking to me the whole time and asking questions and I answered the best I could between sobs and the next thing I know he says, “Now that wasn’t so bad was it?” What? You did it? You’re done? Oh. My. Gosh. This guy was good! I didn’t even feel it!

I’m such a wuss.

So now I’ll pull up my big girl panties, get my prescription filled for the mild anti-depressant and get on with life. I know these little pills aren’t magic and life may not be as I know it and back to normal for a few weeks but I’m sure this is just temporary and I’ll be back to my old self before I know it.

So if you find that I get behind a few days at a time, just bear with me, I will get it caught up, sometimes I just don’t feel like writing right now.

3 comments:

Queen of Retirement said...

I'm so glad you went the doctor and addressed your health issues. Way to go! Sharing your adventure may also give someone else the courage to do the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Snookie, you don't know how proud I am of you!!

LaVon Baker said...

Me, too! I'm so proud of you. And I am so thankful that you didn't even feel the needle.

However, I'm a bit distressed that you've been struggling. And BTW, you were supposed to call me today.