Saturday, January 15, 2011

1/15/2011 Street Fair Time Again!

This weekend Casa Grande is having their annual Car Show and Street Fair.

Since it was going to be the perfect day weather-wise we thought we’d better get an early start since the crowd is sure to be very large.

This street fair held in the oldest section of Casa Grande aptly called Old Town.

IMG_7120

Luckily, we had no problem finding a parking space since we arrived just minutes after the opening of the fair. We were by no means the first ones there but compared to the crowd later in the day the population was sparse.

We happened to park in a area that gave us access to the car show area first thing. Pre-planning on Bob’s part?

When you see the word DWARF, what do you think of? Snow White? Bunnies? A little person? I would think of those things but somehow a car would never come to mind. Until today.

IMG_7131

IMG_7131

This is the first time we’ve seen a car like this and like everyone else we were just intrigued with it.

IMG_7090

To give you some perspective as to just little this car is check out the man squatting next to it.

IMG_7132

This isn’t a toy. It was driven here and it is road worthy. I don’t think I’d be comfortable driving this. I mean think about it a Volkswagen Beetle is bigger! I didn’t catch what year this vehicle is but looking at the grill you can tell its got some age on it. Wasn’t that look all the rage in the late 40’s or early 50’s? That’s just a guess on my part.

Now this next car also drew a lot of attention. If for no other reason its paint job. It just screamed PIMP-MOBILE to us.

IMG_7094

Even the trunk was painted to match the outside.

IMG_7096

I thought the fur trim was a nice touch…..NOT!

IMG_7095

Do you notice anything strange about this car?

IMG_7097

IMG_7103

I kept looking at and thinking to myself that something was wrong with it but I couldn’t figure it out. The lady standing next to me said, “Is there something different about this car that I’m not seeing?” I looked at her and told her I was thinking the same thing. I stepped away to find Bob because I wanted him to see this and he says right away, “Oh look, no doors!” By now I’m standing next to the lady again and we just looked at each and laughed. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees!

There were some REALLY NICE restored cars and trucks.

IMG_7100

IMG_7105

Bob’s brother would love this car! The owner is a Dallas Cowboy’s fan.

IMG_7107

IMG_7108

This car is from 1903.

IMG_7113

IMG_7112

We stopped to have breakfast and then continued on looking at the rest of the car show part of the fair. By then the crowd was really starting to swell.

IMG_7128

Tornado Fries. This is something new to us as we’ve never seen these before but a lot of people were buying them.

IMG_7114

A potato cut in one continuous spiral, separated and deep fried.

IMG_7115

There was a lot of food available if you were hungry.

IMG_7117

IMG_7118

Let’s not forget Ostrich Burgers!

IMG_7119

Music is another street fair staple. This fellow recorded some of his own songs and had other CD’s available of music we’re all familiar with.

IMG_7121

Ahhh,,,my favorite. The pan flute. Truly beautiful music.

IMG_7122

The usual street fair craft tables were displaying their wares and we bought a few things but not a whole lot.

IMG_7116

These dolls or figurines are made from a dried cottonwood tree root. They are light as a feather.

IMG_7123

IMG_7124

IMG_7125

IMG_7126

Sometimes I see something that is being sold and I think, “Nah, I don’t want one of those” and then the next day I wish I had bought one. Case in point, this fellow was selling these dishes that grate everything so easily. Garlic, ginger, chocolate, cheese, you name it, if it needs to be grated this handy little dish can do it. Well, I didn’t get one and now I’m kickin’ myself. He was nice enough to pose for me in his garlic hat. i hope he still them next year!

IMG_7134

It was a great day at the fair! I told Bob on the way home that next year, I’m saving up for the fair because I saw lots of things that I would have liked to have bought but then again maybe its better if I go with limited funds.

We made a few stops on the way home and were glad to get there and kick back to relax.

A nice day….a very nice day!

3 comments:

DeWayne and Joy said...

I'll have an ostrich burger, some tornado fries, a pepsi, and that 57 Chevy! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember my brother-in-law's 57 Chevy! Same color as the one you saw! It was a beauty!

I used to have a red 67, Pontiac Lamans convertible!! Wish I still had it!!

...and a 70 something Gremlin I wish I still had!!

Elaine

LaVon Baker said...

Don's fav would be the red and white '57 Chevy... drool, drool.

My favorite would be the TORONADO TATERS!! More drool!