Monday, January 31, 2011

1/31/2011 Really, REALLY Good News!

I had a doctor’s appointment this morning. A follow up to my appointment two weeks ago. My scheduled time was 9:15, I got in to see him at 10:45. Let’s not even go there.

He asked me how I felt, I told him. I told him about the weekend. I was happy. He was happy. Then we got even happier!

He went over my blood test results with me. My numbers are all where they are supposed to be except for two. I knew the cholesterol was high, it has been for ever and a day. We’ll work on that but not right now. He’s much more concerned with another number that was too low.

Medical Diagram Of the Thyroid Glands Clipart ImageI was very happy to find out that my hormone level in my THYROID is too low, a contributing factor for mild depression. (Wow, do you know how hard it is to find clipart of a thryroid?)

My doctor isn’t ruling out the possibility of Seasonal Affective Disorder. (SAD) That’s where people have episodes of depression that occur every year during fall or winter. This is a possible contributing factor since I had a period last year at this time of the same thing but it wasn’t nearly as long lasting or as severe. I always did hate it when the clocks got turned back and it was dark at 5 p.m..

So now I will start a regimen of a low dose thyroid hormone replacement and a low dose of anti-depressant. And let’s not forget the meds for the shoulder. Two weeks ago I didn’t take any medication and now I have a mini-pharmacy. If they allow me to feel like me…then I’ll take it!

Yep, very good news! I’m fixable!

6 comments:

Marge said...

Snookie, Please go online and read about hypothyroidism. It causes high clolestrol and joint pain in the shoulder and wrists. I started out with a sore shoulder and went through months of physical therapy, then someone ask if I had had my thyroid checked. Within a week of starting my thyroid meds my shoulder started feeling better. You will have energy again. And you will feel a whole lot better.
Marge

Tracy said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Very good news! Bet your glad to find out it's not all in your head. Take care. Ann

DeWayne and Joy said...

Wonderful news, Snookie! I'm so glad you are feeling better. My sister has had low thyroid for years and when the meds need to be increased, she goes into deep depression. Glad you're getting your life back, my friend! :)

KarenInTheWoods said...

That is just amazing... how wonderful they found the numbers and can do something about it!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

LaVon Baker said...

Rejoicing with you!!!