Saturday, October 6, 2012

10/6/2012 Tybee Island Pirate Fest 2012

(Tybee Island, GA)

Today we went to our second pirate event.  The first was back in ‘07 when we to Gasparilla in Tampa, Florida.

Today, we went to Tybee Island and were surrounded by some very authentic looking pirates, if Johnny Depp is any indication of what a pirate should look like.  And the women, or would the correct term be wenches?  I’m so not up on pirate-speak other than AARRRGGGHHHH!  Well, just let me say here and now I have never seen so many push up bras inside of six square blocks as I have here!  Talk about cups running over!

We rode into Tybee with Vito and Nora, the couple I told you we met in Corpus Christi, last spring.  They had workamped for a short time on the island and had friends with a free parking space for them.  Parking is a premium as you can imagine.

We saw this group leaving the River's End Campground.

IMG_3120

Us girls climbed into Tammy’s car (Nora’s friend)for the ride downtown and the guys took the free shuttle.  Of course as soon as we took off the skies opened up and it poured.  I was thinking this could be a long day since we were dependent on others for a ride back to Hunter Army Air Field.

We found a place downtown to park and had a good place to watch the Pirate Parade from.

I was standing next to this couple and realized that they talked just like me so I struck up a conversation.  Sure enough they, Mike and Clara, were from Pennsylvania.  I snapped this picture of Clara and Captain Midnight.

IMG_3160

They came down to Tybee Island just for Pirate Fest 2012.

As you can imagine there were lots of pirate ships and pirates in the parade.

IMG_3125

IMG_3135

IMG_3137

Now the parade wasn’t all pirate ships and pirates, to be sure.  Here is the Beach Chair Brigade.  They stopped every so often and had a routine they did to music.  It was quite the show!

IMG_3129

IMG_3132

This group even had flag twirlers!

IMG_3131

Pirates waked the streets giving out beads and candy.

IMG_3133

IMG_3143

Some of the ladies in the parade.

IMG_3139

IMG_3140

IMG_3142

This is the Tybee Island Slow Ride.  It’s a bicycle driven bar that you and a group of friends can rent for a night of pedaling on the town.  I am assuming it is rentable because of the Facebook page but it could be a matter of just jumping on as its pedaled around town.  What a way to work off those empty calories as you drink them!

IMG_3145

This fella reminds me of Teddy Kennedy.  I don’t know why, he just does.

IMG_3149

The Savannah Parrotheads float.

IMG_3150

Friendly, happy pirates.

IMG_3152

IMG_3154

IMG_3157

IMG_3158

The parade was finally over and our tummies were screaming FEED ME!  FEED ME!
We walked downtown a ways and found Stingray’s Seafood Restaurant.

IMG_3189

Bob ordered Jumbo Shrimp and they certainly were!  You can see the bottom of that tail under his two fingers holding the shrimp.

IMG_3161

This pirate sat across from us and I had to ask for a picture before we left.

IMG_3164

We passed this couple on the way down to the Tybee Island Pier.

IMG_3165

I’m tellin’ ya, this town really gets into its Pirate Fest.

On the way to Pier we noticed a crowd standing around taking pictures of what appeared to be a plant.  And they were and it was but it was a special butterfly attracting plant.  It was just covered with them.

IMG_3166

IMG_3167

We finally made it to the pier.  I took these pictures from it and was surprised at how many were still on the beach at six o’clock.

IMG_3169

IMG_3172

While sitting in the pavilion, I met Captain Jack.  This two year old pirate was just the cutest little guy.

IMG_3173 

(Note to Jack’s parents.  If you like this next picture as much as I do feel free to right click on it and save it to your computer.  I think pic is worth getting printed and maybe even 5 x 7 worthy.)

IMG_3178

Captain Jack wasn’t the only kid dressed up as a pirate. 

Here’s Sonny and Jazzy, just as cute as can be.

IMG_3186

I didn’t catch this little fellow’s name.

IMG_3184

Even the pets got involved!

IMG_3183

More random pirates pics.

IMG_3179

One of my favorite pictures of the day.

IMG_3181

Look closely and you can see the pirate ship made on this bicycle.  In hindsight I should have moved that other bike to get a better shot.

IMG_3187

The end of US 80.

IMG_3188

What a great day this was!  We got to take part in Pirate Fest, watch a parade and spend time with a very nice couple we met while RV’ing.  Vito and Nora, thanks for a great time and including us in your plans.

2 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

Great pics, Snookie! Captain Jack is my fav, followed by butterflies. The last "wench" reminds me of Liz Higginbottom. You sure had a camera friendly day!

Mary Hooker said...

Hey Snookie! Thank you for taking our picture. I am one of the Pirates in the group leaving River's End Camp Ground. I have been enjoying reading your blog.