Monday, May 19, 2008

5/19/08 I Love Safeway!

We were on the road this morning just a little after seven. Since we only had to unhook the electric line and do a few things inside it didn't take us long to get road ready.

We're heading to Williams, Arizona for a weeks stay before we move a little further north to the Grand Canyon.

It was hot traveling today to say the least. We stopped at several rest stops just to let the engine cool down again.

Some highway scenery as we traveled.

IMG_3365

When we arrived in Kingman, Arizona we got off the highway as we needed to re-fuel. We were told that Safeway had the cheapest fuel around in these parts. We found it easily and were surprised that diesel was ONLY $4.18 a gallon. $4.18!!! That's CHEAP! OMG...I can't believe I just said $4.18 was cheap! In fact, we only paid $4.15 because we have a Safeway grocery card so we got three cents off that! While Bob was fueling the truck I went in the store to get Pepsi's and beer and I also picked up paper towels. Using my Safeway card I brought the bill from $59.00 down to $45.00. Everything I bought was on sale!

We were very thankful we were heading east at one point. In the west bound lane we passed this.

IMG_3366

A closer look.

IMG_3367

This tractor trailer evidently jack-knifed and when it came to standstill it was across both lanes and the shoulders. NOBODY was getting passed it except for maybe some motorcycles! Traffic was at a standstill in the westbound lane and it looked like it was going to be for quite some time. The police hadn't even arrived yet. As we traveled down the road it was quite a few miles before we saw the red flashing lights indicating the police were on their way. Who knew how far a crane had to travel to get this truck upright again. To make matters much worse it was HOT! I felt sorry for all of them, the truck driver and all those to who had to wait probably a couple of hours to get moving again.

As we were driving down the road we couldn't help but notice the strong smell of pine. It smelled soooo good!

IMG_3368

We finally pulled into Williams at the park we're staying in by mid-afternoon. I went in to get registered and was pleasantly surprised to find out we were going to get two discounts! Military and a free night because we were paying for six. We got our assigned site and went to get parked. The site we were given was occupied by a pickup truck so I knocked on the travel trailer that was parked next door to let them know we were there and to ask them to please move their truck. Well, it seems that they parked there because they were assured that site wouldn't be rented out due to them being hooked up to that site's cable connection since the one on their own site was broken.

Back to the office I went to get another site. The lady who owned the pickup caught up with me so that she could make sure this didn't happen again in case they were gone when the next rig came in. On the way she introduced herself and asked my name. When I told her Snookie she got this big smile on her face and said, "That's my daughter's nickname!" We talked about that a bit before we arrived back in the office. On the way Bob and I did look at other sites and found one we wanted if it was available. Sure enough Site # 3 was open and we could have it. It's HUGE! Lots of room for the rig and the truck.

It is much cooler here than in the desert and it felt oh so good! It was actually a pleasure to be outside while setting up.

There aren't many in the park right now but I'm sure this will change with the holiday weekend coming up.

This is combination RV park and "motel". I haven't seen the motel part yet but I did see these accommodations. There are several rail cars on the property and I'm thinking this is the motel. How cool would it be to stay in one of these?

IMG_3370

Our view across the street.

IMG_3369

So why did we come to Kingman? Our friends, John and Bonnie McMullen, from Quail Run are workamping in a KOA just down the way and we've come here to spend some time with them.

After getting all settled in I called Bonnie to let her know we were here and we made arrangements to get together tomorrow.

There are tons of things to do here in this area and lots of day trips to be made. We may even come back here after the Grand Canyon because I don't think we'll get everything in that we want to see before next Monday.

We caught the ten o'clock news and weather. They are calling for SNOW here on Wednesday. Hmmmm....Desert or Snow...Desert or Snow....

No comments: