Saturday, May 31, 2008

5/31/08 Another Day at the Canyon

I woke up feeling better this morning, not 100%, but better. Good enough to get out of the house today after spending two days indoors. It was even warm enough to wear shorts and T's.....YAY!

We decided we would go look at the canyon again today at some of the overlooks we haven't been to as yet.

IMG_3622

I wish pictures were in 3-D so that you could see how truly magnificent the Grand Canyon is.

IMG_3626

We got to one overlook and decided that instead of taking the shuttle to the next overlook we would get there by foot.

So we set out and hiked strolled a rugged smoothly paved footpath for 8 miles 1.5 miles. Some beautiful scenery along the way to be sure.

IMG_3628

Bob got way too close to the edge for my comfort. NO one has ever survived the 300 foot sheer drop from the canyon ledge.

IMG_3632

Here's my dead tree picture for the day....darn you LaVon, I spent more time looking at dead trees today than I did at the canyon.

IMG_3637

I did come across this tree and took the picture even though it was alive. Now that's a tree trunk!

IMG_3631

I started getting warm and asked Bob how much further he thought we had to go. He told me he'd check it out and let me know.

IMG_3638

Some final pictures of the canyon.

IMG_3644

IMG_3642

This is one trip I am so glad we made!

When we got back to the camp site I noticed how many rental RV's came in. I wonder how many of these renters will become full time RV'ers? It has to start somewhere. All three of these are rental units and there are more on the road behind us and a few further up the hill from where our site is.

IMG_3646

We're moving tomorrow, going towards the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest. Once again I don't know if we'll have a Internet connection.

Today we should hit 26,000 on the counter. I am truly amazed at fast it is turning.

Will post when we can....just keep checking back.

2 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

More glorious pictures! And ha ha ha ha ha ha (you make me laugh) thanks for the dead tree picture... I don't see many here in the Ozarks.
Funny picture of Bob!
So glad you are feeling better Sweetie!!

Peggy & Bill said...

So glad you enjoyed the Grand Canyon. That was one of our high points in 2000 when we were there. We took the EARLY morning bus to watch the sunrise over the canyon. Talk about tears!!!! What a sight & what a chill! It was cold, but the shivers were from the amazing sight sent by our great creator! As you said, Awesome, Majestic, the words dont' even come close!!! Happy Travels. Loved the pictures & glad you are up & at 'em again. The bug has been going around the Eastern USA too! Everyone gets hit different. Bill had it on Fri.-Sat. of Mem. weekend, I had it Mon. night-Tues. YUCK!