Wednesday, May 7, 2008

5/8/08 It's Been 553 Days....

THE WAIT IS OVER! Tonight for dinner we had CAPRIOTTI SUBS! YES!!!!!

We just puttered around today. We had planned on going to Glitter Gulch, otherwise known as The Strip, in the late afternoon and staying through to late tonight. As sometimes happens with us, our plans changed.

I spent a couple of hours at the Base Exchange just browsing, getting my nails done and just passing the time.

When I got home around five I asked Bob if he felt like having subs for dinner. I held my breath waiting for his answer. I let out a huge sigh of relief when he said, "Yeah, subs sound good".

It didn't take me long before I was in the truck on the way to Capriotti's about 8 miles away. Believe me, I would have gladly driven 28 miles!

I arrived in the parking lot and immediately felt my heart rate quicken and I started salivating! I have been waiting for this day for a long time. Five hundred and fifty three days to be exact.

Their logo never looked so good to me!

IMG_3036

When I walked in with my camera I got some strange looks from the store employees. Did they think I was with 60 Minutes or something? I explained to Jessica, the order taker and cashier, that I would be taking pictures while our subs were made for our travel blog. She said there was no problem with that and that yes, I probably was the first one to photograph sub making. There were several orders ahead of ours, which was totally expected! I sat down at one of tables to wait. I think I now know how first time dads of yesteryear felt while sitting in the waiting room waiting for news of their firstborn. Yes, I wanted this sub that bad! Remember, Capriotti subs were our normal Friday night dinner for a long time.

Meet Cody. He is the young man who is making our subs. Today, he is my new best friend.

IMG_3037

Let the building begin....

IMG_3038

Lots of hot peppers for Bob's sub.

IMG_3039

Pickles for mine.

IMG_3040

Tell me your mouth isn't watering!

IMG_3041

Let's not forget the oregano.

IMG_3042

More Meat!!!

IMG_3043

It has to be placed....just so.

IMG_3044

....and then all tucked in, nice and neat.

IMG_3045

Wrapping it up, ready for travel.

IMG_3046

As I was waiting for Jessica to check me out I noticed something on the counter. Tastykakes! Another east coast, mid Atlantic states, delicacy. I bought two packages of chocolate cupcakes and two packages of peanut butter cakes, our favorites.

Jessica rings up the sale, putting us that much closer to eating these much awaited for subs!

IMG_3047

Even though it was warm outside I rode the 8 miles back to the base with windows up. I didn't want to waste one minute of having the aroma of those Italian subs next to me.

Finally arriving home I couldn't get in the house fast enough, we were just minutes away from a very special treat.

First a picture of them sitting on the counter.

IMG_3048

This is where the pictures stop. Once I got that sub in my hand, there was nothing, but nothing, that was going to distract me from enjoying this.

Bob got his sub and sat down in the front of the TV to eat his. I wanted everything just right. No paper plates for this meal. I put only perfect potato chips on the plate, the broken ones went back in the bag. I had an ice cold Pepsi, a napkin and the plate on the table. I was ready. Oh, was I ever ready!

I picked it up and ever so slowly brought it up to my mouth for that first bite. OMG! It was better than the first day of summer vacation, better than a birthday party, better than Christmas, better than sex. Well, OK, maybe not better than the last one but it was really, really good! But then again, I must have let out a moan because I saw Bob look over at me and I realized that I must have made that sound out loud!

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner! I'm not leaving Las Vegas until I have another one!

Cody, you did a great job making our subs and we THANK YOU!

Sometime today, we're going to have the counter turn another thousand. If its you leave a comment and let us know who you are. Nothing special will happen, I'm just curious who it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you for your address in order to send you some Tastykakes!!! So glad you got your long awaited subs and Philly's own Tastykakes!!!

Elaine

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

You sounded sooo happy! It did look good. Maybe on our trip from NH down to FL we will stop and get one.

LaVon Baker said...

HHHHMMMMM Yummmmmmm! Yea, I'll have what she's having! LOL