Friday, May 2, 2008

5/2/08 We're Going to Vegas!

We packed up what little we didn't get done last night and were on the road by 8:15 this morning. We're heading north where hopefully it will be a little cooler and a lot less windy.

We only had one problem on the way to our next stop. One of the tires on 5th wheel has a very slow leak and when we stopped to fill it the air came out instead of going in. Now the air pressure was even lower.

We stopped at two more places and the same thing happened. We decided to just slow down so the tires wouldn't get so hot until we could find a place where the air pumps worked.

We crossed the Nevada state line and somehow we both missed the sign so there is no picture. I think this is the first one I've missed.

We stopped at gas station/convenience store combination and I was totally surprised to see 6 poker type machines lined up. Then it hit me that we had crossed the line and were in Nevada....the land of gambling.

We had some pretty scenery along the way.

IMG_2952

IMG_2955

I just never get tired of these mountains and hills.

We pulled into the Desert Eagle RV Park which is in Nellis Air Force Base just outside of Las Vegas. Twelve miles outside.

IMG_2956

What a nice park! It has, I believe, 132 spaces. Once again we have access to all the amenities the base has to offer. While we're here Bob will take advantage of the Auto Shop and change the oil in the truck.

Making short order of getting set up it was time to go to the Base Exchange or BX(department store) and the Commissary (grocery store). The BX is about the size of your average Kohl's or Target. Prices are just a tad better here than in the civilian stores, but not as cheap as they used to be by any means. We had to go there because the water pressure in this park is really high and we needed to get a water pressure regulator or else we would be blowing a water line. We have two but somehow they are nowhere to be found. They had one but it was plastic and not of the best quality (Camco) but it will do until Bob can get to Lowe's or Home Depot tomorrow to get a brass one.

From there it was on to the Commissary. I don't know what we were thinking! Well, actually, I DO know. If we didn't go to the grocery store we weren't going to have dinner! I had been using everything in the cupboards and fridge so that we don't have all that extra weight onboard as we travel and when I looked in the fridge I couldn't think of anything to make out of a bottle of ketchup, half an onion, butter and a half bag of brussel sprouts. Looking in the cupboards the pickin's were slim there too. We pulled into the parking lot and realized just how crowded the place was. Then it hit us,,,,it was payday for these airmen and their families. Bob dropped me off and went in search of a parking place. The plan was for me to get started and he would find me in the store.

The Commissary here is very large and very nice! We spent about 45 minutes walking up and down aisles and halfway through I knew it was a mistake to go there hungry. (We hadn't eaten anything yet today and here it was four o'clock) Our grocery cart was filling fast but at these prices it was hard to not throw things in. We got TONS of food for less than $100.00! Our pantry and fridge/freezer are filled to the max now! I was surprised that we could get a 3 lb roast, 2 rib eye steaks, thick pork chops, country style ribs, hamburger and lots of canned goods plus a whole lot more for just $97.00. At Walmart this would have set us back at least a buck fifty. Since Bob doesn't like frozen corn or green beans we picked up 8 count boxes of Libby canned vegetables that figured out to be 43 cents each. As is customary in all commissaries, at least the ones I've been in, your groceries are bagged and taken out to your vehicle and loaded by the commissary personnel. Of course they depend on your tips so add 2 more dollars to my grocery bill.

After unloading all the groceries and getting them put away it was time to finally make dinner. While it was simmering I went outside and Bob thought it best to park the truck a little better. I stood on the patio looking around and we heard IT! A squeal. If I had whipped my head around any faster I would have broken my neck! I looked at Bob and he looked back at me with this look of horror on his face. He stopped the truck but the squeal continued. We both let out a sigh of relief. It wasn't our truck making the noise. Bob chuckled and said, "Gee, do you think we're paranoid or what?"

After dinner, we settled in for TV. We're on antenna right now as we haven't had time to set the satellite dish up yet. So we have 8 channels to choose from and 3 of them are spoken in Spanish. This is going to be a long night!

We have a very strong Wifi signal which makes us very happy campers!

Have you taken the time to put yourself on our map yet? If not, please do so now, let's get er' filled. Look in the right hand column below the state flags.

Speaking of the map... this is a note to SKIP of South Carolina!

Wow! You are still following along! Glad to hear it! It's been awhile now if I'm not mistaken. I think we were in Florida last year when you got on board with our adventure. Wait till you see where we're taking you next Skip!

That's about it for today, a new location, new faces, new things to see. We are lovin' this adventure! Truck breakdowns and all!

Play on Words...

The thief who stole the calendar got 12 months.

1 comment:

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

We have taken advantage of the commisary on base while we've been in FL. thanks to our son. Hey, Congrats on being my 500th person on my blog. Rick said to tell you there is no prize for that. Sorry! Take care