Sunday, May 4, 2008

5/4/08 This is the EXPRESS LINE???

Bob kept himself busy all day doing odds and ends around the 5th wheel.

I spent my time in the laundromat getting our clothes cleaned and dried. Of course that didn't take me all day but it sure seemed like it. Usually I can go in and fill 4 washers with clothes, towels and sheets, have them washed and dried all within two hours... max. Today took much longer because there were only three washers and dryers and two other women were also doing laundry. So we juggled our wash loads from machine to machine and spent the several hours talking.

When I finally got done I realized the Commissary was going to close soon and I had forgotten to get crock pot liners when we were there yesterday. Since we'll be out sightseeing Monday I had planned on a crock pot meal so that dinner would be ready when we returned. So I run over to the store to get the liners and having the opportunity to walk up and down the aisles by myself, I did. Of course I picked up a few more things that were on sale that I didn't see the day before.

Soon the announcement is made that the store is closing and to please proceed to the checkout lines. Since I only had a few things in my cart I got in the Express Line. There was young couple in front of me who had less than the 15 item limit also. Now here's where it gets bad. Evidently the husband had slipped something into the cart that the wife didn't see and they got into a fight over it. I had to wait for them to get this settled and decide whether or not they were going to buy it. I'm starting to spend a long time in the Express Line now. So they get their 12 items scanned and bagged and the total comes to around $38.00. She brings out this debit/credit card that clearly has been bent in half rendering it useless. She tries and tries to swipe it through the machine and it is not going work. They told her to take it to the ATM machine nearby to see if it would work there so that she can get cash and get the Express Line moving again. She said she already tried that and it wouldn't work there either. DUH! If you already knew it wasn't going to work then why are you trying it in line to pay for your groceries? The EXPRESS LINE, you know, the one those who want to get out of the store quickly use? OK, so this isn't going to work and they figure out how much cash they have between them. $23.00 and change. Now they have to figure out what they are going to put back. They argued. They changed their minds a dozen times. I was almost ready to pay for their stuff just to get them out of my way.

Finally, its my turn. I put my items up on the conveyor belt and I check out in no time at all. I'm just getting ready to walk out the door and it hit me! I got some great buys with the on sale stuff but neglected to get the one thing I went there for, the crock pot liners. Oh geez! I turned right around and went back to get them. I had to hurry because the store was closing. Lucky for me the shelf they were on was very close to the front of the store and I had them in my hand within two minutes from when I realized I didn't have them. Back to the EXPRESS LINE. There are four people ahead of me not including the one checking out. The two people in front of me each have a cart with 8 or 9 items each in their carts. The lady in front of them has a gallon of milk. Now here's where it gets bad again. The lady whose turn it is to check out next has a cart that is half full. Did she not see the sign that this is the express line? Actually, she had to know she was in the express line because it is separate from the normal lines. To make matters worse she kept sending her teenage daughter to get more things. The four of us behind her in line start exchanging looks. Finally she started putting things up on the conveyor belt and I really believe we were all counting as she put her groceries on the belt. I counted 33 items but I may have missed a canned good or two. Just as the cashier is almost done she squeals, "Oh my gosh, I forgot to get fabric softener!" OH NO! She sends her daughter off to get it but not before detailed instructions on what brand to get, what size to get, what scent and as the young teen is walking away Mom yells, oh yeah, get toothpaste too! By this point I am so angry I could eat iron and spit out rust!

The woman finally gets done and looks at the woman behind her and says....."Oh honey, if I had known you only had that gallon of milk I would have let you go in front of me." The man in front of me says a little loudly,,,"If you had been in the line where you belonged we'd all be home by now". Tempers were getting short to say the least. I was glad to get out of there.

I spent the evening talking to a couple down the street from us about fulltiming and sightseeing. Upon my recommendation they are having Capriotti subs tomorrow for lunch!

That's our day.

No comments: