Friday, November 26, 2010

11/26/2010 Still Stuffed!

We had a very nice Thanksgiving yesterday with lots of friends. This year was much different than last few here in Quail Run. In years past everyone gathered in the large Carnaval Room and we all ate together. While there was still a dinner there it seemed that most of the people who have been coming here, at least as long as we have been, opted to have more personal dinners. Groups of 4 to 6 had their Thanksgiving dinners in various homes here. Bob and I were involved with a group of 30 that had an early Thanksgiving dinner or perhaps it was a lunch since we ate at one o’clock.

As I told you yesterday our contribution was glazed carrots and roasted garlic cauliflower. The carrots were good! The cauliflower dish,,,,didn’t even get out of the house. My darn oven went on the fritz and I didn’t know it. Halfway through the baking time I went to stir it and when I put my hand in the oven I knew it wasn’t at 425 degrees. The cauliflower had been in the oven for half an hour and was still as hard as it was when I put it in there. Of course I had this timed so that I could take it out of the oven and head right over to where we were eating and it could be served hot. What was I going to do now? I had one small bag of peas in the freezer so that wasn’t going to work. I had one can of green beans and that wasn’t going to feed a bunch of people. One jar of beets wasn’t going to go far either. My only option? Open three cans of corn and heat. I was so disappointed after all that mincing of garlic, chopping of fresh parsley and cutting cauliflower flowerets to uniform sized pieces. Damn oven!

In the end, it didn’t really matter, we had so much food it wasn’t funny.

IMG_6923

Friends gathering outside, waiting to eat.

IMG_6926

….and the food kept coming.

IMG_6927

Marilyn and Judy enjoying a visit and glass of wine before dinner.

IMG_6928

Wanna bet Bob is talking to Wilf about floor installation?

IMG_6929

Al brings over a deep fried turkey that he has cooked and carved.

IMG_6931

Cameras were clicking all over the place.

IMG_6932

Sandy calls everyone to the buffet line.

IMG_6935

Everyone had plenty to eat and there were plenty of leftovers to take home to eat again later.

IMG_6936

We thought it was going to be too cold to eat outside but sitting in the sun it was quite warm and it didn’t take long for jackets to come off.

A good time was had by all and no one went home hungry.

So that was yesterday. Today Bob was back to working on the floor. The tile is now all done except for one strip which won’t be done until the bedroom floor goes down.

I feel so bad for him. His knees and back hurt so bad with the constant up and down. When you aren’t used to doing that and then are at it for a full week, well it certainly takes a toll.

2 comments:

DeWayne and Joy said...

Looks like a great meal and lots of good friends! Can't wait to see pictures of the floors.

LaVon Baker said...

I recognize faces. I know you all had a good time.