Tuesday, October 11, 2011

10/11/2011 “But ma’am, I didn’t pack any bread.”

Before we put the 5th wheel in the shop we worked hard on using up the food we had in the freezers. We did a good job too. We had about a week’s worth of food that we took to Arizona with us and we had to buy some more while we were there.


When we picked the rig up we asked that they turn the fridge on for us the day before so that it was cold when we arrived. We put what little food we had in the fridge and went on our way. We had enough for a few meals and ate at Subway and had sandwiches on other days. We knew when we got to San Antonio we would be on a military base and had plans for a HUGE shopping to really stock up.


Well, today was the day.


Bob and I spent a little over two hours filling two large grocery carts to the brim and not having an inch of space left on the racks on the bottom of the carts.


We bought enough meat and other frozen things to fill two freezers to capacity. We have enough cleaning products and paper products to last us for the next several months. Canned goods that we use, we got it covered and then some. I shouldn’t have to go to the store except for bread, milk, fresh veggies and my all important chocolate stash for the next 5 or 6 weeks at least.


It took us a good 20 – 25 minutes to check out and get everything bagged. Even using paper versus plastic it took us 23 bags to get it all packed. Actually, we didn’t pack it, there was a gentleman packing everything up for us and he helped me get the three carts of bags out to the truck. (Bob had to stop elsewhere in the store). On our walk across the parking lot I looked at this older gentleman and said, “Well I came for a loaf of bread and here I am $442.16 later.” He looked at me and said, “But Ma’am, I didn’t pack any bread, I think you forgot to get it.” He was right, we forgot to get bread!


We weren’t going back for it, that’s for sure. It took the entire back seat and floor and the back of the truck to transport everything home. We have stuff stuffed everywhere! I really think I could open a small store with the just things stored under the bed and under the sofa.


I’m glad that job is over for awhile.

No comments: