Friday, October 21, 2011

10/21/2011 Have You Ever Heard Me Say……….

It’s a small world! Every so often we are reminded just how small it is. More about that in a bit.


You know what I like about this park? You can wash clothes in the laundry room here and then take the ones you want and hang them out at your site. I’ve seen many RV’s and park models here with small laundry racks of one sort or another. I only see these racks when in use so they are put away in between times. I happen to mention to some of the ladies here in the park during a small get together that I was surprised this was allowed. They were surprised at my use of the word allowed. In Quail Run we were never allowed to make use of these energy saving devices. I do believe that was a rule the former park manager made up and not necessarily one the owners of the park wanted enforced. (It has since come to light that there were a lot of rules that park owners new nothing about) Anyway, in support of living green, I’ve heard that has changed in our park in Arizona.


Bob and I had to make a run to the grocery store while we were out today to get two ingredients for a dish I’m making for a barbecue we’re invited to tomorrow. I made my first visit to a store called HEB. I was calling it Heb, like it sounds, but I’ve since learned its actually H E B which I have no clue what those letters stand for. I don’t like going into a grocery store for the first time. I don’t like not knowing where everything is. I also don’t like being the only ENGLISH SPEAKING person in the store as it seemed I was today. I was glad to get out of there because it certainly took me a lot longer than it should have. I couldn’t find one item I needed and there was no one to ask. If any of the Mexicans could speak English they certainly weren’t letting on. I was beginning to wonder if somehow we crossed the border and really were in Mexico!


So back to this being a small world. After dinner this evening I decided to go for a walk up to the clubhouse and I heard “Is that a familiar face I see?” I looked around and realized the lady was talking to ME! I was too far away to see who it was as dusk was just settling in and maybe the fact that I didn’t have my glasses on was a factor too. I got closer and she said, “What a surprise seeing you here Snookie.” Uh-Oh! She knows my name. I got to the area where they were sitting and I’m looking at both of them and saying to myself. “THINK SNOOKIE! You know these two but WHERE FROM???” I was running all kinds of scenarios through my mind as to where I’ve met this couple and I must have missed a question one of them asked because I realized they were standing there waiting for me to answer something. I asked them to repeat that and the question involved the words Quail Run. QUAIL RUN! YES! NOW I KNOW! I can place them there, I can see them at the pool. in the Carvnaval Room, in the Cantina and their names are…..and their names are……oh darn. Nametags Snookie,,look at their nametags! Oh my gosh, Eddie and Toni Ewing!


IMG_9758


We workamped at Quail Run our very first year there, four years ago, and so did Toni and Eddie. We weren’t in the same department but being a small community that an RV Park is you get to know just about everyone. Yes, it certainly is a small world. And it got even smaller before the night was out. It turns out one of Toni’s friends is a reader here! Somehow it came up that Toni and her friend Lori were talking about them coming to Texas and Lori told her that a blog she follows, the couple were going to the same places, something like Snookie and Bob are going to Fort Sam Houston and then to the Valley too. Toni asked about the name Snookie and told Lori that she knew a Snookie from Quail Run and the connection was made. So Lori, glad to meet you in a roundabout way and thank you for following our journey. Its always nice, no matter how convoluted it is, to make a connection with readers.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Very small world!! Watch out for Eddie and Toni, they SEEM so quiet but.... !

We sure miss them. And I want to see where everyone quilts. (Toni--I am so jealous!)