Saturday, October 22, 2011

10/22/2011 Pumpkin Carving Prank

We have heard that you don’t want to go out on the roads here on a weekend. Not only are all the locals busy running errands but you have snowbirds arriving to their winter perches and those that are just driving through on the way to theirs, plus add in all the visitors from Mexico that are coming here to shop. Well, it CHAOS! UTTER CHAOS! So while we haven’t actually experienced it, we’ll heed the warning and stay within the boundaries of park during the weekend while we’re here.


We were invited to a barbecue at the park managers place along with 35 or so others. They supplied the hamburgers and all the fixin’s and everyone else brought a dish to share.


Scott, the park manager, talking with Dann and Pat on the HUGE carport.


IMG_9756


This is Jerry and Alabama. No, her name really isn’t Alabama but its what she’s called here, or “Bama” for short. She works in the office on the Mission Bell side and since she and the park manager are both named Cynthia there had to be a way to differentiate between the two. Neither wants to be called Cindy. So Alabama it is. I’m sure glad she doesn’t hail from Massachusetts or I-da-ho. Alabama just seems to roll off the tongue. Here’s another small world story. I knew Bama before we got here. We’re friends on Facebook. I forget how exactly it came about, we met on an RV forum or somewhere and then because FB friends so we’ve been communicating for awhile now. Of course it helped determine where we were going to stay when we came to the Valley.


IMG_9759


This is Bunky and Chip, another couple we’ve become friendly with this past week.


IMG_9760


Joy telling me to put the camera down because I’m missing out on all this good food.


IMG_9765


Bama spends her days off at the pool, can you tell?


IMG_9767


After everyone had eaten we had a pumpkin carving contest. Camphost Lily, Bunky and I were asked to come up to the table to participate. Now we all knew this was going to happen as we were asked the day before if we would. What Lily didn’t know was that Bunky and I were given more information than she was.


We were to carve the pumpkins while blindfolded!


IMG_9768


This is hard enough to do when you can see so I had to check out which side was the sharp side of the knife. Bama is telling me here to be careful because the knives are very sharp. She had a bandaid on her finger for proof since she was the one who cleaned the pumpkins earlier in the day.


IMG_9769


So we’re all blindfolded and it was time to start the carving.


IMG_9770


What Lily didn’t know was that as soon as “go” was yelled, Bunky and I took our blindfolds off so we could see what we were doing!


IMG_9772


We made it as real as possible by talking about how hard it was to do and I dropped my knife on the table and asked for someone to hand it to me and we just had a good time with it.


You know, I don’t think I’ve carved a pumpkin since I was a kid and I don’t really remember doing it then as I think that was something my mom did. When you see mine you’ll realize this is truly a beginner’s project.


IMG_9773


Bunky must have been the pumpkin carver in her family because she just went to town!

IMG_9774

IMG_9772


Watch you finger Lily!


IMG_9778


Now take notice of the stem on Lily’s pumpkin and then look at where she cut the mouth.


IMG_9779


A better view. This is what happens when you carve blindfolded.


IMG_9781


Bunky’s pumpkin.


IMG_9782


Lily just found out we weren’t blindfolded!


IMG_9780


This was fun and everyone had lots of laughs.


Good food, new friends, great weather and a new experience for me. This is what its all about.

1 comment:

LynnieQ said...

LOL Blindfolded! :-)