Sunday, October 9, 2011

10/9/2011 Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio

Once again we were up and on the road early. Today would be a short day for us since we were only going 218 miles.


On the way down I-10 I couldn’t help but notice the trees/bushes/shrubs along the road.


IMG_9701


Thousands upon thousands of evergreen type plants were brown. Dead. My first thought was the dreaded pine beetle but these weren’t pine trees per se, but of the evergreen family. Whatever caused the deaths of all these shrubs/bushes was certainly thorough. There wasn’t a live evergreen in a hundred mile span that I was watching. All I could do was sit there and watch masses of brown shrubs pass


Further on down the road Bob called my attention away from the book I was reading to see this.


IMG_9702


I bet this is the driver and he’s sitting there saying to himself, “OH, the paperwork!” we were glad to see he was safe and sound. We didn’t see the tractor part anywhere so we guessed that was already towed away. We got a peak inside the trailer as passed by and it looked like small construction equipment, probably a construction company moving equipment from one job to another, very possibly to another state.


IMG_9703


We arrived in San Antonio for a near week long stay this afternoon and the first thing we noticed was the humidity. Not that it was as high as we’ve known humidity to be on like on the east coast but its something we haven’t felt in quite a while.


We made it to Fort Sam Houston without mishap. My first glimpse of Fort Sam Houston from this gate was the National Cemetery.


IMG_9705


White headstones as far as we could. Perfect rows no matter which way you looked. Many that documented very short lifespans. There are over 120,000 soldiers interred in this cemetery. One hundred and forty are prisoners of war who died in captivity, 133 are German, 4 are Italian and 3 are Japanese. After the hostilities of WW11 ended, POW’s who died in captivity were returned to their countries.


As we passed row upon row of these headstones I was sorry we weren’t going to be here on Veteran’s Day. If they asked for volunteers to help place the flags at each gravesite I would have yelled the loudest, “I’ll do it!” I had two emotions trying to take over at the same time. Intense pride in our service members and country and a crushing sadness that so many, too many, never got to really live. Especially those who served during the draft, they had no choice unlike today’s soldiers in our all volunteer Armed Services. Don’t get me wrong, its incredibly sad when we lose a member of our Armed Forces whether it be a draftee or someone who willingly serves. Personally I think everyone should serve a minimum of two years. Today’s youth and the generation before them are too coddled in my opinion,,,,but that’s another blog post for another day.


The FamCamp was nearly full when we arrived and we were hoping we didn’t make a mistake in not making a reservation. Our friends Joy and DeWayne made them so when I went in to see if anything was available I asked if there was something open close to where they were going to be. Well, imagine my surprise when the gentleman told they weren’t on the reservation list. I asked him to look again as I knew for sure that Joy called and made them because she called me afterwards to tell me who she talked to in case I wanted to call. My next request was a site near the bathroom since we had that leak start last night and we wouldn’t be turning water on until that was fixed. That he could help me with.


After getting set up I called Joy to let her know what was going on. She will call first thing in the morning to get it straightened out.


We made a quick run to the Commissary to pick up the fixins’ for steak sandwiches and took notice of the huge tents in the parking lot. Case Lot Sale! Well, what was left of it. Bob reminded me that we weren’t there to do our big shopping trip and that he was hungry. Just as well, what I could see of what was left, we weren’t interested anyway.


Dinner out of the way, we called it a night in front of the TV. Leak fixing on the agenda tomorrow!

No comments: