Tuesday, July 16, 2013

7/16/2013 Claustrophobia 101

(Wilmington & Rehoboth Beach, DE)

CLAUSTROPHOBIA  n.  Latin 

“an abnormal fear of being closed in or of being in a confined space”

Yes, it’s true, I’m a claustrophobe.  I’m finding that the older I get the worse it gets.

It started many years ago just being afraid of the possibility of being in a closed coffin.

Then I graduated to being uncomfortable in crowded elevators.  I was a basket case when amusement park rides went to the over shoulder padded harnesses.  No more rides for me and I loved an amusement park!

I remember I had to have a cast put on my leg and I hyperventilated because I thought it was too tight and I couldn’t breathe.  Yeah, I know, the doctor’s assistant thought the same thing,,,,,,

I can no longer go under water in a river, the ocean or even a swimming pool.

When I cracked a bone in my forearm several years ago I had a two piece cast that was held in place by wrapping that brown bandage stuff around it and pinning it in place.  I woke up one morning at 3 a.m. and I thought I was suffocating and could not get that cast thing off fast enough.  Once I did, I was fine.

Let's not even talk about seat belts!  I hold mine away from me all the time, I can't stand it up against me.

It doesn’t even have to happen to me anymore for me to feel the effects of it.  I can hyperventilate if an Philadelphia Eagle is on the bottom of a pile of football players and I don’t think the guys are moving fast enough to get off the player on the bottom.

Breathe Snookie.

So why am I telling you this?  This morning I had an all out panic attack due to a Ford Mustang.

Bob and I took off today to spend a week in Rehoboth Beach.  We packed the car, the Ford Mustang my brother and sis-in-law are lending us.    As grateful as I am to have the use of this vehicle,,,,,I hate this car!  The seats sit low in the old 2000 Ford.  It also doesn’t help that the interior is black.  All black.  Its also a convertible which means there is apparatus taking up head room.  Add to all of that, darn near everything we own that we have with us because we don’t know what the week will bring.  A suitcase, 2 laptops w/cases, a cooler, a carry bag, hanging clothes and who knows what else!  We got in to take off and we got around the corner and it hit.  I could not breathe!  I yelled, “pull over, pull over” and as soon as Bob stopped I was outta there!  I stood outside for a few minutes and calmed down.  I slowly got back in and it started again.  I told Bob that I couldn’t ride in this car that we had to go back.  He told me I needed air so he put the back windows down.   Hmmmm.  I started crying and said I couldn’t do this.  He turned on the air conditioner.  I told him to go back home.  He refused, asked what were we supposed to then.  I told him we’d rent a car and he said that wouldn’t fly.  I put my arm outside the window and that helped immensely.

We only had to travel a few miles to the ultrasound place.  Since I had an appointment and was the only one there I was taken right away.  A half hour later I left, assured that I didn’t have any blood clots in my
lower extremities.

We then traveled the ninety miles or so to Rehoboth Beach.  We’ll be staying with my uncle, Kenny.  We have vacationed with Kenny and his late wife, Winnie, many times.  We used to take two week vacations and spend the first one at the beach and the second on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Bob and I both miss Winnie so much.

Kenny has been busy remodeling his mobile home, putting in a new kitchen, all new dry wall and carpeting, and flooring. throughout.  He’s nearly done but Bob will help him with a few things this coming week.  We also hope to get in some beach time and fishing and a golf game or two.

We’ll also catch up with friends we made last year at the Delaware Seashore State Park..  Jim and Arlene are also in the area so we’ll see them too.  We’ve got a busy week ahead of us!

No comments: