Sunday, July 7, 2013

7/7/2013 Sleep Never Felt So GOOD!

(Wilmington, DE)

We were up nearly 42 hours with 10 minute cat naps here and there.  I think we were asleep before our heads hit the pillows last night.

When I uploaded the pictures of the clouds I took when we flew into Philadelphia, a few more downloaded and I can’t believe that I let something go buy without even mentioning it.

We had a small, old, countertop microwave in the park model that bit the dust.  We knew we wanted a microwave oven but didn’t think we would be able to find such a small one to fit the counter space it was in or if we even wanted to go that route.  We talked about it and decided to get one that gets mounted over the stove, under the cabinet.

Bob had to move an electrical outlet and do some wood work to support the new appliance.

IMG_5155
It’s in, and it works great!  I am so thankful that Bob knows how to do all these things.

Bob and I are certainly enjoying all the green we’re seeing here in Delaware.  There has been a lot of rain in this area so everything is in full bloom and the grass is as green as it can be.  Until you spend months in the desert you don’t realize how much you miss grass and maple trees.

Mom took us to the New Castle County Airport today to pick up the car my brother and sister-in-law are lending us while we’re here.  Our friend Susan, from Sarasota, FL, was up visiting for the long weekend and since her plane home was leaving at 6a.m. she used the car to get to the airport so that they didn’t have to get up so early to take her.  We’re very thankful that Billy & MIchelle had this extra vehicle for us to use, otherwise it could be a long six weeks with no wheels.  Or… a very expensive one because we would have had to rent a car.  Mom uses hers too much to be without her own wheels if we borrowed hers. 

Right across the street from airport is a Home Depot, our next stop.  We had to buy a small room air conditioner for the bedroom so that we can sleep at night.  The house doesn’t have central air conditioning and the window unit already in use doesn’t cool the bedroom down enough for us to be comfortable.  We had every intention of paying for this air conditioner because this is something we wanted.  My mom argued that she would buy it because when we left it would still be there so therefore its hers so she should pay for it.  We argued and insisted that we should buy it and she came back with, “Fine!  You buy it and when you leave you better take it with you!”  That ended that argument.

This afternoon Bob and I sat on the enclosed front porch and enjoyed something we haven’t seen in quite some time.

Rain.

IMG_5163
My local Facebook friends were complaining about rain again, but we were thoroughly enjoying it.  I have to say we were disappointed that there wasn’t any thunder & lightning.  I’m looking forward to a good thunderstorm.

IMG_5162
We had a wonderful roast beef dinner and spent the evening catching up with mom and watching TV.

The house seems so different now with my dad not here.  His chair is empty on the front porch and Bob has taken over his recliner in the living room.  Oh, and the remote too.  I’m also finding out that my mom isn’t handling this new normal as well as she led me to believe either.  She’s lost 20 pounds she couldn’t afford to lose even though she is very good about what she eats due to having diabetes.  I can see in her face that losing my dad has taken its toll.  Of course its to be expected, they were together 61 years but she told me she’s been keeping busy and doing fine.  It’s not what I’m seeing.

It’s just not the same, as it shouldn’t be, but I miss him so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our house came with the microwave over the stove. If it goes out I think I will put in a stove vent and put a microwave somewhere else. The microwave gets very greasy and it's not easy to clean.