Tuesday, May 15, 2007

5/14/07 We've Got Hummers!

Bob was outside talking to our neighbor when I first ventured out this morning. I immediately looked to our new hummingbird feeder and was disappointed that there were none there feeding. When I expressed this our neighbor assured me that he had seen two earlier this morning. While I was glad to hear that these tiny creatures had found the feeder I wanted to see them too! Well, it wasn't long before they showed up. Bob was able to snap these pictures.




We've seen three different hummers now, one with a red throat, one with a green throat and one with a white with a red marking throat. These tiny birds fascinate me. Their wings flutter so fast you can't seem them.

In addition to the hummers at the feeders we have ants! I was telling Barb, the campground owner, about them and she said to put Vaseline on the plastic loop that the feeder hangs from. It seems the ants won't walk through the gooey stuff. It was comical to watch them scurry across the plant hanger the feeder hangs from only to see them stop in their tracks. (Take notice of the pics above, you can see the ants, this was prior to Vaseline)

The little hummers come quite frequently to drink and we are amazed at how much they drink at one time. We're hoping with time that they become use to us and don't fly away so fast when we move, that they figure out we're the ones who are feeding them and that we mean them no harm. Now that may be a far fetched dream on my part but I'm hoping.

So now we need Vaseline. Hmmmm....guess that means a trip to the Hundred Dollar Store to get some. We sat down and made a list of everything we need and were determined to stick to the list.

We needed another fire extinguisher so we put that on the list. We needed buckets to plant the tomato plants in so that too went on the list. Spray paint, a green pepper, a bag of radishes and the list went on until we totaled eighty two bucks and change! Wow, a trip to the Hundred Dollar store that cost us less than an hundred dollars! Hooray!

Next errand, to find a nail salon for Snookie! There isn't a whole lot in this area as far as stores/shops are concerned we soon found out. As far as department stores go its Walmart, first and last choice! The next nearest department store, think Penney's or Sears, is thirty miles away. The closest mall is 45 miles away! Good thing I'm not a shopper! We did find a nail salon about six miles from the campground we're in so that's a good thing. Now I don't know the crowd this shop caters to but I'm not into yellow, green and blue for polish colors. I didn't remember to bring my own with me so I ended up with just a manicure, no polish, but I did make a deal with the nail tech that I would return in a day or two with polish in hand and we would finish my appointment then.

Back at the campground the overnighters started rolling in. You can tell when its around three o'clock here, the campsites start filling up.

After dinner we sat outside for awhile and just enjoyed the quiet. We found a good oldies station on the radio so we sat, each lost in our own thoughts.

No comments: