Saturday, May 26, 2007

5/25/07 The Ice (Wo)Man Cometh

We were busy all day getting ready for the influx of campers that was to descend upon us.

First thing this morning Bob had an electrical job to complete so that the Kabins had electricity. The day before one of the hired hands was digging and put the shovel right in the middle of electric lines cutting them in two. Bob spliced the lines, got everything wrapped up and the Kabins lights were working once again. He spent the rest of the day working on his picnic tables. So that you can get idea of what he is doing exactly I took some before and after photos.

BEFORE

This one wasn't in as bad as shape as some


After

Doesn't he do nice work?


I, on the other hand, did something new today. I got the ice case ready for all the ice we'll sell this weekend. Dan and Barb don't buy ice, they make their own. There is a large ice maker in the back room and it is bagged, the little metal ring to hold the bag closed is put on and loaded into the case, all by us. Well, now by ME.



I actually enjoy this task. By the time I have the freezer half full my right arm is a little on the sore side but its a nice kind of hurtin' if you know what I mean. I can only carry eight bags of ice in the cart at a time so its a lot of trips to get this ice box filled.

The pool isn't ready as of this afternoon. Its filling and we're hoping it is ready by tomorrow afternoon. I don't know who would want to go in it as it is being filled with well water that comes out at fifty three degrees. I know I won't be in it!

By mid afternoon the holiday campers started coming in. One after the other, tent campers, kabin dwellers and big rig owners. It didn't take long before the campground was nearly filled and my ice box was half empty! We did have some cancellations on the tent sites. We had to turn away quite a few who called at the last minute to see if we had RV sites available.

We're keeping an eye on the weather as the weather man is calling for rain for the next several days. We're glad we're big rig owners and not tent campers, that's for sure! I would not be happy in a tent on a rainy weekend, hell I wouldn't be happy in a tent at any time! I don't do bugs!

We've got quite a few "floats" scheduled this weekend and as the campers came in we were busy scheduling more. The canoe/rafting trips down the Meramec River is a big thing in this area. We have our own trip scheduled for mid June.

At the end of our day we were both tired and ready to relax. We couldn't muster more energy to do anything more for dinner than sandwiches.

The weatherman is calling for rain tomorrow, we'll see what the day brings.





No comments: