Friday, July 20, 2007

7/19/07 Some Much Needed Rain

This morning when we ventured outside we took note of the grass in the campground. Its brown. We haven't had rain in Stanton, Missouri in well over a week, probably closer to two weeks now that I think about it. The weatherman says rain this afternoon/evening but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. We need this predicted rain.

Once again, Bob was up and out early. Today he had to get shingles on the roof of the Kamper Kabin in case the weatherman is right.

I started my day out packaging ice in preparation of a busy weekend.


Barb went to two local stores to get supplies in for the camp store so we spent some time this afternoon pricing the items and getting them shelved. We're fully stocked now so the weekend can begin anytime. I did notice a jump in the price of milk. We were selling a half gallon for $2.49 and now we're pricing it at $2.79. A half gallon of milk is going for more than a gallon of gas in this area.

Today was probably the longest day for me so far. There just wasn't much to do and time just seemed to drag by. Even the phones were quiet today. I tried to get into a new book but even that didn't hold my interest.

I did meet a couple from Pennsylvania who are staying here for a few days. They live just down the street from our favorite campground in PA, Warwick Woods. In our conversation we discovered that we'll be in Albuquerque, New Mexico for the Balloon Fest at the same time. We exchanged info and plan to meet up in October.

Remember this picture of our tomato plants?

Look at them now! Three of them are taller than me!

We're getting tomatoes now but they aren't as big as ones that are grown in the ground. At least the beefsteak's aren't as big as the ones we're used to. We're getting lots of grape and cherry tomatoes and that makes Snookie a happy camper!

By late afternoon the clouds started rolling in and by five the sky was as dark as night. The wind picked up and it looked like we were in for it. We kept an eye on the Doppler Radar on the office computer and the storm was headed our way. I had seen Bob leave the campground earlier but didn't see him return. I told Barb I needed to go to our place to secure our belongings we had outside. Bob was home and was coming out of the trailer when I turned the corner. He said there was a notice on the TV of severe weather for our area. We made short order of stowing chairs, flags and other small things we had about. Bob thought it best to put the awning down, just in case, besides the wind had really picked up by now. Soon after I returned to the office the rain started. Not a driving rain by any means but it was coming down pretty good. After awhile it was just a nice gentle rain, so much for TV warnings.

I have four pizzas I earned by selling KOA Value Cards (discount cards) on the books now and it IS Thursday, our pizza night, so Dan made one for us for tonight's dinner.

With the rain the temperature dropped big time! The AC is off and we'll sleep with windows open tonight, something we would much rather do.








No comments: