Thursday, July 26, 2007

7/26/07 Mick Jagger, Sandra Bullock and ME!

Today I have something in common with Mick Jagger, the lead singer in the Rolling Stones and movie star Sandra Bullock. Today we are all celebrating our birthdays. Mick turns 64 today, can you believe that? Sandra is chiming in with 43 years under her belt and I fall in the middle at 54. Fifty four years old, gosh this came fast!

It seems like yesterday that I was crying because I was turning 17. I had so much fun at 16 and I didn't want it to end. Remember that Mom?

I sit here this morning and think about what has happened in the last 54 years.

I saw the first man walk on the moon, I've lived through a time when our country was at war and I remember when all the rage was a pet rock. I've lived through peddle pushers, tent dresses, mini skirts and polyester pant suits. I remember gas wars where gasoline went as low as 20 cents a gallon. (I was a very small child but I have a good memory) Then I remember gas lines when we waited an hour for the allotted 10 gallons on alternate days of the week. I remember stamps at five cents and a pack of cigarettes for thirty. As a kid I had a great collection of Matchbox cars and then I have fond memories of my very first car. Then there was my very first brand new car (Ford Pinto) with payments of $52.00 a month. We can't even fill the gas tank for that now!

I spent my first eight and a half years as an only child. Then came the little brother who takes great pleasure now in pointing out that for six months of a year I'm NINE years older than him rather than the eight years that separates our ages the other six months.

I've been lucky enough to say I've traveled. I've been to four other countries and 26 states in this one and to the Islands. And I'm still traveling....

It's been a great 54 years, if I could do it over again there is very little I would change. Oh sure, there are things over the years I wish I hadn't said, things I wish had done but all and all I wouldn't change much.

So today I'm another year older and as my dad is fond saying, its the first day of my 55th year.

I'll spend today packaging ice, checking in campers, possibly going out for dinner tonite (I'll make sure I don't take anything out of the freezer) and enjoying the day.

Yep, its been good so far!

Happy Birthday Mick and Sandra!



1 comment:

LynnieQ said...

Funny. I sit here reading about your life four years ago as you celebrated your birthday and to think tomorrow morning I'll be singing happy birthday to you via Facebook four years later. (count your blessing you can't hear me sing) I still have three more birthdays to read about! I better get busy. Oh, Happy Birthday to you!