Sunday, June 1, 2008

6/1/08 Time To Move On

Our time at the Grand Canyon has come to an end, its time to move on. We thoroughly enjoyed this week. Seeing friends, John and Bonnie McMullen and sharing our first glimpse of this natural wonder with them was...well....GRAND!

We were on the road this morning by ten and we tried to stop in town at the IMAX Theater to see the B-I-G screen movie about the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately, there was no room in the parking lot for us with all the buses already parked there. Traffic was terrible so rather than try to find parking elsewhere we opted to just keep going down the road. I'm sure some day we'll back at this incredible place so we'll catch it next time around.

We did see this one little trailer in the parking lot that I just had to get a picture of, I can't even imagine staying in this! It would be uncomfortable just getting through the door! Bob says that we should have gotten one of those to full time in and we could pull it with a Mini Cooper and gas prices be damned! NOT in this lifetime!

IMG_3647

Our destination today was Sun Valley, Arizona and once again we had safe traveling.

After a few stops we pulled into the RV Park gravel parking lot we'll be staying in for the next three nights around three o'clock. It didn't take us long to get set up and soon we were kicked back sitting outside in the nice breeze.

We're staying the ROOT 66 RV Park. No, I didn't misspell it, that's how its spelled.

IMG_3745

The office building is colorful to say the least.

IMG_3743

IMG_3744

As you can tell we are back on Route 66. I wish I had been around here when the Mother Road was in her heyday. It must have been so much fun traveling this route. Heck, we're lovin' it in 2008!

This RV park, as 95% of the businesses around here, sells petrified wood if one is in the market.

IMG_3746

In addition, they also have these colorful crystals (?) for sale.

IMG_3747

As you drive down Route 40, the interstate highway, you can see the petrified logs just laying in the fields so everyone is in the business of selling it. I think if we wanted a piece of it bad enough we would just go to the field and help ourselves.

We ran the TV antennae up rather than getting the dish set up because we're only going to be here a short time and have plans for our daytime hours. Oh boy! Two, count em', TWO channels! One is in Spanish and the other is a 24 hour a day religious station. I do have my doubts about how "religious" it is because every program wants you to send BIG BUCKS to get whatever video they are hawking. I watched this one show for a few minutes...send $100.00 and in return you'll get a video with "God's secret" on how to be financially secure. Something tells me the only one who is going to be financially secure is the one who is selling this! Then again, with viewers like me he/she won't make enough to pay for the air time!

So we are glad we bought those five dollar movies at Walmart. We watched Broken Arrow with John Travolta and Trapped with Kevin Bacon.

Just as the sun was setting I went outside to make sure the truck windows were rolled up and the doors locked. This is what our evening sky looked like.

IMG_3649

I checked our stats for the blog and thought I'd share some monthly totals for May with you.

Visitors to blog: 1680

# of pages read: 2598

Friday is the busiest day for visits and Sunday the slowest.

We've had visitors every hour of the day.

Visitors called 24 different countries home including the US.

Visitors came from 45 states and D.C.

(Some visitors may have only read one page of the blog)

Fourteen people were referred to our blog because they want to know how to kill a groundhog! That's seems to the number one way people are finding us. I didn't realize groundhogs were such a pain and that so many people want to kill them!

Huntingdon Beach, California still comes in first for most pages read. We don't know anyone in this town....I wonder how they found our blog and why they haven't signed the Buddy Map.

Speaking of the Buddy Map....now friends, I really want you to start filling in this Buddy Map for me. Here's how you do it: Click on the Buddy Map in the right hand column, click on Add Yourself to the Map, fill in your name, town and any message if you want to add one, this is optional. You don't need a photo. Then click on Finish. That's it. Easy. Now let's get it filled in, trust me, its a blogger's thing. I can't have other blogs with more red dots on their Buddy Maps than this one has can I?

The counter has turned 26,000 but I guess whoever it was didn't notice because I didn't get any emails or comments to the blog saying, "It's me! It's me!

This was our day, start to finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Snookie my Friend!

I'm 26200, without even playing log-on, log-off, log-onn, etc games. Keep the good stuff coming.

Ann - from 'good-ol-Suncoast'