Thursday, July 15, 2010

7/15/2010 A Most Cherished Visitor

Today was one special day for me, a day I’ve been very much looking forward to. Today I reunited with my forever friend Susan.

Last February I told you about my dear friend Susan and her battle against lung cancer. If you are new to the blog you can read all about this very special friendship HERE.

Susan and her husband Doug are here in Delaware (They live near Atlanta) to get some things done on their house here at the beach so we had the chance to spend the day together while the roofers were doing their thing and Doug was supervising.

She arrived around 10:30 and it had to be the longest morning I’ve spent waiting in a long time. During one of our many phone calls over the last months I’ve taken note of how strong she sounds and I’ve seen pictures of her but I still needed to see her standing before me to really know that she’s OK. And she is! She looked wonderful, she had the strength to hug me tight and she has stamina. She beat it, just like she said she was going to! Before I jump the gun here I guess I should clarify that. Susan had 39 lymph nodes removed and tested, all clear, the tumor was removed and it was dead, she had the lung that held the tumor removed BUT she still has to have some tests done to be able to say the words I AM CANCER FREE!

IMG_5523

She has one more chemo treatment to go and then its all downhill from there. She had a choice on whether or not to go through with this one last treatment. She see-sawed back and forth about what to do and finally agreed that it was just a good precaution to take. She had a real rough time with the last treatment and this one doesn’t promise to be any easier but there is a light at the end of the tunnel for her,,,,it is the last one!

Susan and I want to thank all you prayer warriors who kept my friend in your prayers these last months. Our prayers were answered. Susan is going to be just fine. Positive thinking!

We drove over to the beach to walk the boards, check out the shops and get a big ol’ cup of BOARDWALK FRIES! With malt vinegar thank you very much.

We sat on one of the many benches that lines the boardwalk and checked out the action on the beach.

IMG_5503

It was hot again today and the beach was umbrella to umbrella….

IMG_5505

If Susan and I were at the beach today we wouldn’t be using an umbrella,,,we are sun worshippers that go back a long way together!

Susan and I sat and talked over old times, played a couple of rounds of remember when, and talked about our present and what the future holds for us. We’re looking forward to more reunion days like this.

Susan, you never looked so good! (Well, you know what I mean)

After dinner, I walked over to see what kind of sunset we would have this evening. It wasn’t bad,,,,you be the judge.

IMG_5526

IMG_5527

IMG_5528

IMG_5530

IMG_5531

IMG_5532

What a very special day this has been!

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

The sunset pics are beautiful, but seeing Susan here is even more beautiful and you know how much I love sunsets. I am rejoicing with both of you.