Monday, July 19, 2010

7/18/2010 He Turns Six….Already

Today we will celebrate a family birthday. My niece’s, (Ryann) little boy Steven will turn six tomorrow, Monday. Of course we have to have his birthday party today so that everyone is home from work and can come.

The party will be held at my brother and sister-in-law’s home because they have the pool and the yard for it.

When we arrived I went in search of Steven to say Happy Birthday and he was heading for the diving board. This did not surprise me at all since he started jumping off this board at 22 months.

IMG_5542

IMG_5540

Such a teeny, tiny splash.

IMG_5541

This kid is truly a water rat!

Last year when his younger brother, Justin, was almost four my mom asked him if he was going to jump off the diving board and his answer was, “When I’m five I’ll jump off the diving board, I have to be five first.” Justin isn’t quite the daredevil his big brother is.

In early spring mom was talking with Justin about jumping off the diving board and maybe he would try it this summer, He changed his tune and said that he would wait until he was eight now.

Earlier this summer when mom had gone to my brother’s home and she saw Justin, she said to him, “Justin, I sure will be glad when you are eight.” Not knowing what she meant he asked why. Mom replied, “So that you’ll jump off the diving board, you told me when you were eight you would jump then”. He got all excited and said, “I jump now Nana, I’m four and I jump now, wanna see me jump right now? I’ll go get my bathing suit on right now, just wait here and I’ll show you how I can jump!” Off this little guy ran to change clothes and he couldn’t get his swimmies on fast enough. He just couldn’t wait to show Nana that he could jump like a big boy off the diving board.

IMG_5546

IMG_5543

IMG_5547

He’s just so proud of himself. As he should be, he’s fours years ahead of schedule!

My nephew Dusty with his wife Brittany and their new baby, Talia.

IMG_5554

Such a pretty baby!

IMG_5555

Soon it was time to blow out the candles on Steven’s Batman/Cave cake.

IMG_5564

What looks to me like a very deep breath being taken for six little candles.

IMG_5567

IMG_5569

I had the camera in hand and was going to snap a candid shot of Justin but he noticed me just as I was snapping the picture.

IMG_5572

Both boys were given a “mohawk” earlier in the day by Uncle Dusty.

IMG_5574

All the cake and ice cream was eaten, the gifts opened and givers thanked so it was time to head back to the pool.

Now THAT’S a tan line!

IMG_5580

Uncle Dusty has great fun throwing the kids in the pool.

IMG_5581

IMG_5582

….and of course he has to go in to cool off too.

IMG_5583

IMG_5584

IMG_5585

IMG_5586

What form!

IMG_5587

Our little Justin is so thrilled to be going off the board!

IMG_5590

IMG_5591 IMG_5592

IMG_5593

IMG_5594

Yep, a busy day in the pool today!

IMG_5595

It was great seeing extended family today, spending time with the kids and sharing in Steven’s birthday celebration.

Maybe the next time we’re home Justin will have given up the swimmies.

2 comments:

Tom and Sharon said...

What an awesome bunch of family pictures. I felt like I was there with you.
Sharon Peterson

LaVon Baker said...

I'm with Sharon... felt like I was right there with you. Those boys are so handsome and that Talia, oh what a doll. Beautiful family you have, Snookie.