Tuesday, July 6, 2010

7/6/2010 How’s That Song Go???

HOT TIME IN THE CITY….. Wow, truer words have never been written. We are in the middle of the heat wave that every weather person in the country is talkin’ about. Triple digits here. It is hot Hot HOT!

Today is a work day. Normally, I would be in the store today and Bob would be doing whatever it is Bob does on a Tuesday morning when the grass is all but dead and doesn’t need mowing. Actually he mowed two days ago and weed whacked so the place is looking pretty good considering its dead, dried out grass.

Today I went with Emily, the Volunteer Coordinator, because she is tasked with the Sand Castle contest this year. Actually, I started in the store with Linda and Emily was to pick me up at nine. She arrived at ten, just after I left to run home to get some books for Linda to read. We finally met up and we headed to Rehoboth Beach to canvas the neighborhood for prizes.

She took one side of the main street, Rehoboth Avenue, and I took the other. We split up and agreed to meet at the boardwalk. Getting prizes wasn’t nearly as easy here as it was in Bethany Beach. You see Rehoboth has its own Sand Castle Contest in August. and I guess the merchants knew they were going to get tapped for that and I’ve been hearing that “business is down” all over the place. So I’m not getting the response like I did in Bethany, couple that with the extreme heat we’re experiencing, even at 10:30 in the morning, and well, I’m not having a marvelous time. I called Emily to see how she was faring on the north side of the avenue and she wasn’t doing too much better.

We met on the boards and agreed it was just too darn hot to be out here going from the extreme heat to the air conditioned stores and restaurants. We lasted a total of two hours on this task. I did manage to garner 5 gift certificates and a huge gift can of caramel popcorn. Like I really wanted to hand THAT ONE over. I was given a free sample and trust me, it was to die for! Emily scored another half dozen prizes so it wasn’t a total waste of time.

Emily dropped me back off at the store a little after noon and I finished out the day with Linda. A lot of ICE went out the door today that’s for sure!

We were going to to home for the next two days which is our weekend but its too hot. Mom and Dad are at the cottage and the bedroom we would have is way too hot. Only the TV/dining room is air conditioned and their bedroom has plenty of windows and good cross ventilation. We opted to stay home where our place is nice and cool. Granted, out A/C never shuts off but with triple digit temps….I don’t care.

Keep cool if you are in this heat wave.

No comments: