Thursday, January 24, 2013

1/24/2013 I’ve Been Plucked, Waxed and Now….

(Seffner, FL)

THREADED!

I’ll explain more about this in a bit.

Today was a GREAT DAY!  Bob and I were supposed to meet up with Delaware friends Reds and Terre today.  These plans were made a week ago.  It didn’t quite happen that way.

Bob noticed our front tires weren’t wearing right and made an appointment to get the truck checked out.  If you remember, we had this checked out when we were in Key Largo, but Bob just didn’t trust this evaluation.  When we visited Marvin he was talking about it to him and Marvin suggested this business here in this area that deals with trucks.  Bob made the appointment not remembering we had the plans with our friends.  Actually, it was just as well because Reds had the opportunity to play in a golf tournament.  Terre and I decided a girlfriend’s day would do just fine anyway.

So she picked me up at Lazy Days at noon and we headed to where else but the local mall.  Lunch was first in order and we settled in at a patio table at Bahama Breeze.  We both enjoyed a delicious lunch and catching up on each others lives since we last saw each other in 2010. 

After lunch we walked into the mall to do some serious window shopping.
After checking out what Dillards had to offer we walked into the open mall area and the first store we passed was Brow Art.  Hmmm, I thought to myself, my brows need some attention.  Terre noticed me checking the place out as we walked and she asked me if I had ever had my eyebrows threaded.  Threaded?  I had heard of it but really didn’t know anything about it.  She told me she had it done and suggested that we go in and do it.  Now I’ve plucked my eyebrows, I’ve had them waxed and have even done that myself but threading is a whole new thing to me.  There was a video showing in the storefront window and I watched just a few seconds of that and Terre was nudging me towards the door.  There was a young lady in there getting hers done and I watched.  She assured me it wasn’t bad and that she had had it done before and came back.  They assured me that waxing hurt more and that this would last longer.  Well, alrighty then, I’m all about not pulling hair out of my body by the root or at least doing it as little as possible!  I’ll do it.
Yeah, I was nervous.  The technician pulled a piece of cotton thread off of a spool, thread like you use to sew a button on and twisted and turned it and my thoughts ran to that string game we played as kids, Cat’s Cradle.


So she brushed my eyebrows, cut the excessively long ones, (I told you they needed attention!) and laid the string over my eyebrow area.  The next thing I felt was excruciating pain!  It felt like that string was lined with hack saw blades!  Oh Em Gee!  What had I gotten myself into?  I looked at Terre and she smiled angelically at me and said, “See?  That’s not so bad is it?”  Out of respect for you, my readers, I will not write the dialog I had with Terre in my mind.  It wasn’t nice and probably would have made a sailor blush.  I just glared at her.  One brow done and I have to be honest here, it didn’t take long at all.  It’s very fast and you don’t end up red like you sometimes do after waxing.  Hmmm,,,do I get up out of this torture chamber chair now and run or do I get the other one done?  I opted to have even eyebrows.

Terre took pictures.  I was told use hand to pull up on the eyebrow and the other to gently pull down the lid.

THREADING ONE

THREAD TWO.bmp

When it was all said and done, they were perfectly shaped, very cleanly done, there was no redness and it was done quickly. 

Then Terre got it in the chair.  Did I smile angelically at her?  Oh hell no!  My mouth opened and out came….BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  Actually, she knew what to expect so it was no big deal to her.  She did say the left side hurt worse than the right.  I guess if the truth be told, “hurt” isn’t really the correct term.  It’s uncomfortable, but the pain stops as soon as it starts.

I looked through YouTube videos to give you a better idea what threading is all about.

Eyebrow threading

We spent the rest of the afternoon chatting and laughing and shopping in the mall.
A stop at Costco’s was next where we both picked up some buys.

All too soon our day came to an end and it was time to part ways.  I so enjoyed my time with this longtime, dear friend.

Bob took our picture when she dropped me off.  We tried several sans sunglasses but that just wasn’t working for us.

IMG_4538

It was a great day!  Bob never did get to keep his appointment with the truck tire guy, you see our parts came in!  Yes!  Our parts arrived and they were installed.  Things are looking up!  We still have those few little things to get done but that is on a “fit us in as they have time” type of thing.  Hopefully, tomorrow.

Before I close this let me tell you that I have decided that I WILL do the threading thing again.  In fact, I may even try doing it myself.  Maybe.

No comments: