Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1/19/08 Pancakes & A Celebration of Life

We were up early this morning! That alarm went off way too early. We started our day at 5:15 so that we could be up to the Cantina by 6:45. It was still dark out when we left the rig.

We had sausages to warm up, pancakes to make, orange juice to pour and plates and utensils to put out and syrup to pour into serving containers. All this had to be done and ready by 7:30 so that we would be ready to serve our first customer.

We were told that last month only about 35 people showed up for the pancake breakfast so we were certainly hoping for more this time. The winter residents did come out for breakfast this Saturday morning even though it was on the chilly side.

We had everything cleaned and put away by ten. From the kitchen we went to putting up additonal tables and chairs for an event in the Carnaval Room tonight.

We had 55, give or a take two or three on either side. Everything went well and I believe the White Team is now done with these breakfasts. I'm hoping so anyway, I don't like getting up that early.

The afternoon hours brought laundry chores for me and Bob worked on finding out why the heat in the truck was only coming out of the vents by the front windshield. Luckily, it was only a burned out fuse.

Late afternoon brought us a trip to the store for groceries. I made sure to get celery and cream cheese for stuffed celery for the party we're going to tonight.

The party. What a great time we had! This wasn't an Activities function so other than setting up the tables and chairs we had nothing to do with this. This Celebration of Life party has been thrown every year for the past several by two women in the park. One is a cancer survivor herself and the other is one who lost her husband to cancer three years ago. They pay for the DJ who happened to be Carol Powers, the lady we had for our New Year's Eve party. Everyone was asked to bring a "finger food" to share, hence the celery and cream cheese for us. The party was originally planned for the time period of 7 - 11 but then the two organizers found out that the usual time period paid for is three hours making it 7 - 10. Ms. Powers would gladly stay until 11 at the cost of $250.00 for the additional hour. That was out of the question. Seven to ten would have to be good enough. It was thought to be a shame we wouldn't have the four hours because this is one dancing park!

So we get there at a little after seven and everything is in full swing already. The dance floor was crowded and everyone was enjoying themselves. Not too far into the party the two organizers asked all cancer survivors to come to the front of the room. I was shocked! I sat there with my mouth hanging open as I watched resident after resident make their way to the front of the room. Half the room was up there! Bob and I just looked at each other. We couldn't believe this many people had been struck by the Big C! We counted our blessings.

The DJ knew just what to play to keep everyone on the dance floor. Around nine the two organizers asked everyone to join in a circle on the floor and as a group we sang Lean On Me. How touching that was. Needless to say there were a few misty eyes.

At ten an announcement was made that Carol Powers was donating the last hour from ten to eleven because she was having so much fun with us!

The night finally came to an end and as is Carol's way of saying goodnight we all joined hands in a big circle on the dance floor and sang God Bless the USA. A perfect ending to a really fun night.

Since church services were going to be in this room in the morning and it had to be set up everyone there pitched in and in 15 minutes we went from dance hall to church. That had to be a record! You would have never known that twenty minutes prior there were over a hundred people partying hard!

So it was a long day for these workampers, keep in mind that our day started at 5:15 this morning but oh what a fun day! Excluding laundry duty of course.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: