Sunday, April 20, 2008

4/19/08 El Centro's Centennial

Today we went into town for the centennial celebration. I guess anyone or anything reaching an age of 100 is worth celebrating.

I'm sure a lot of work went into planning this week long celebration and its a shame that Mother Nature decided to let loose her "bad mood" on this day, the last. Not only the last, but the biggest part of the week long celebration. To tell ya the truth I don't know what they did the other six days of this week long celebration, we just heard that it did last that long. For all we know today was it, lock, stock and barrel. All the more a shame if it is.

We were supposed to start our day helping devour a 30 foot ice cream sundae. We didn't make it. That was from 10 to 12 and I don't know who we thought we were kidding but we are never ANYWHERE at ten in the morning. We're retired, we don't have to be! Besides, did I really want us to dip our spoons where possibly hundreds of other spoons have dipped? I think not. So much for that.

We did manage to get into downtown by mid afternoon. We didn't want to go too early because we wanted to stay for the fireworks and the concerts, one being Joan Jett.

Joan Jett.... you know, I remember the name but for the life of me I couldn't tell you anything she did. Not until we got home and googled her and then it was like...Oh yeah, now I remember. I'll save you a trip to googleland...she did I Love Rock and Roll for one.

So we get to the downtown area and it started. WIND! It was sooooo windy! Since this was held in the small fairgrounds there was dirt flying everywhere. The tents the different vendors set up were blowing over and dirt got into everything! In your eyes, in your mouth, in your shoes, its was just horrible. We lasted as long as we could and when the local bands started playing, well, that was just the last straw! There were two bands playing in two different sections of the grounds and they were each trying to see who could be the loudest and neither one of them were any good! It was time to pack this in! So much for staying for the evening Joan Jett concert or the fireworks.

Back at home we settled in for the night.

Happy Birthday El Centro!

No comments: