Tuesday, September 23, 2008

9/23/08 New Mexico Bound

Before we pulled out this morning I took the time to watch the chipmunks play. I could sit and watch them for hours as they chase each other in whatever chipmunk game it is they're playing. I watched them scurry here and there as looked for whatever it was they dig in the gravel for. It wasn't unusual to have 5 or 6 of them playing in "our yard" at one time. They don't seem to mind humans until you get just a tad too close.

IMG_5253

IMG_5252

This is a morning shot showing the aspens are starting to turn to their fall colors. That's something I miss, the fall colors,,,,not the crisp air, not the raking, just the colors.

IMG_5255

So we finally got all hooked up and were ready to hit the road once again. Here's a picture of Bob getting the rig across the river/bridge again.

IMG_5257

IMG_5258

IMG_5259

Now this was a dumb thing to do! I had to chase after him to the other side and bridge was ICY! I thought it was just wet at first with morning dew but after that first slip I soon figured out I was looking at black ice.

Down the road a piece this car passed us with a huge elk rack tied to the roof. Oh how Bob would love to go elk hunting and get one of those.

IMG_5260

It had to happen sooner or later. We knew it would, just not when. Well, today was the day. We stopped for a rest stop and when Bob went into the rig to use the facilities he always checks things over to make sure all is well. Usually, it is. Until today. When he came back to the rig he told me the dishes had spilled out of the cabinets and glass was everywhere. OH NO! My favorite dishes too! There wasn't anything I could do at that point so we just kept going. All in all it wasn't too bad, we lost a dinner plate and three salad bowls. I now have a serving for three,,,,looks like new dishes are in my future!

About four hours later we pulled into the campground where we'll stay the night. We made it as far as Gallup today. It sure is different than the one we just left. This one is a gravel parking lot but it'll do for the night.

IMG_5264

First thing I did was get out of the jeans and sweatshirt that I had on when we left Colorado. This is definitely shorts and T weather here in New Mexico.

I didn't have to cook tonight as they offer a "Cowboy Dinner" here each night during the summer. Even though it is officially fall, it is still very much summer here! Bob went and got something for himself and came back with a large order of ribs, a ton of french fries, a big garlic roll and it seems to me there was something else on the plate but I can't recall it right now. He raved how good it was. I was hungry when we first got here and made myself a salad and then of course wasn't hungry at our usual dinner time.

I noticed these big ol' buzzards sitting in a tree near by. The one with its wings spread isn't just landing or getting ready to take off. It just sat there like that for the longest time.

IMG_5261

I sure am glad we have the rigs we have today instead of like this one from yesteryear. I mean, really, where did they keep the cooler of beer and Pepsi's?

IMG_5265

No one seemed to be out and about this evening while I sat at the picnic table and read. Must be everyone is just passing through and here just for the night, therefore staying in and resting, getting ready to hit the road again tomorrow. Just like us.

No comments: