Friday, September 5, 2008

9/5/08 Our First Day Home!

We slept in. Does that surprise you?

We spent a good amount of time on Steve and Carol's patio. They have an absolutely lovely home with big picture windows that face the mountains in the living and dining rooms. Carol made sure we sat on the "right" side of the dining room table so we could enjoy the view while we ate.

IMG_4947

Bob and I could/did sit here for hours just looking at the view. As a side note, this is the 5000th picture I've taken with the camera I got almost a year ago to the day.

IMG_5000

I would tear myself away from the view every once in awhile to unpack one of the bags. It was hard, but I had to do it.

Bob did start the truck, well, he tried to start the truck. The batteries were dead, deader than doorknobs! Looking back we should have given Steve the key and asked him to start the truck every week or two while we were gone. Hindsight is always 20-20. He'll deal with it tomorrow, he's vegging today.

Carol made a delicious dinner for us! We had a salad, a roast that you could cut with a fork, potatoes, corn on the cob..... Let me tell you about corn on the cob. We've had a LOT of corn on the cob in the past few weeks. There is only a short peak season for corn on the cob and it seems we had it with a lot of meals, both at mom's and when we ate at a friends house. By the time we had it for the last time we said, "Enough, we are corn on the cobbed out! Now we always thought the best corn you can get is from New Jersey. There's just nothing like Jersey corn, and their tomatoes for that matter. Well, let me tell you right here and now we were WRONG! Utah corn on the cob is the BEST! We have never had corn so sweet! It didn't need butter, salt, pepper, nothing! Of course we put all those things on it but it sure didn't need it to be good. So back to our dinner, when Carol mentioned we were having corn on the cob I kinda shuddered to myself, "Oh no, not more corn on the cob". (I know you are reading this Steve and Carol) When we sat down to eat and I tasted that corn I had made up my mind right then and there that I could eat this every day! Thanks so much for serving corn on the cob that day!

After dinner we went to a local rodeo that was in town. This was my first trip to a rodeo and I never even gave it a thought to take the camera. Bad Snookie, bad! We watched cow roping, barrel racing and other events but the very best was the...the...oh darn, I can't remember what they were called. Mutton something or other. Anyway, they were little kids, ones that weren't much past toddler-hood. They were put onto the back of a sheep and were supposed to see how long they could hang on. It wasn't long, mere seconds, but oh so fun to watch these teeny tiny cowboys and cowgirls (in their little pink cowgirl boots) in their first rodeo event.

Back at Carol and Steve's we parted ways for the night.

1 comment:

ttprincess1226 said...

Hi Snookie,
Nice to be reading your blog again! Missed your sense of humor. The rodeo event is called mutton bustin'. Pretty cute, huh?