Wednesday, December 31, 2008

12/31/08 New Year's Eve


This day was so long it feels like it started at 4 a.m. instead of the nine that it did. Every one was working today and all hands were definitely needed. We had so much food to finish making. We got a good start on it yesterday but a lot had to wait until today to be finished up.

All the work was well worth it because we got rave reviews from every single person that attended our New Year's Eve Party. This year we had 144 in attendance.

Here's Gayle getting a platter of veggie pizza ready. We made all kinds of appetizers and sweets to eat.


While half the team was in the kitchen, the other half was transforming the Carnaval Room into party central.



Our party started at nine with the doors opening at 8:30 but the party animals of Quail Run were in line waiting for the doors to open at 8:05. They must have known it was going to be the blast that it was and couldn't wait to get started.

As each winter resident came in we stamped their hand so that there would be no question as to whether someone bought a ticket. Bob didn't want his hand stamped. He offered this area instead.

Each team member couple had 1/2 hour that they were responsible for in making sure that there was ice, no empty plates on the serving tables, plenty of soda for set ups and anything else that needed replenishing. In the kitchen was a team couple that kept the kitchen running and the food coming. I told you previously that Ann and Ed owned a restaurant/bar in their previous life and were extremely comfortable there. They aren't really party-ers or dancers so they volunteered to man the kitchen. She is so organized in the kitchen and everything just ran beautifully. Thank YOU so much ANN! It all ran so well that I have to send a huge THANK YOU out to the whole darn team! You guys rock!

This was one of the best New Year's Eve parties I've ever been to. We had so much fun! Bob danced with every woman he knows in the park. Here he is with Jeannie.

I, myself, didn't do much dancing. I'm still dealing with this pain in my leg. I know, I know, I've got to get an appointment with a doctor. When that old standby Electric Slide played I did get up for that but only made it 3/4 way through and I had to sit down.

Now Jeannie has a rule that if you are working on New Year's Eve then you are only allowed one drink. One of our team members, Dona, didn't have a problem with that at all!

When the clock struck twelve.....


....everyone hugged and kissed everyone within reach.


2009 had arrived!

We ended the year with our DJ's, (Carol Power) trademark ending to an evening by singing God Bless the USA.

When everyone had left we looked at the food we had left. OMG...did we ever make too much! The thing about making appetizers is that you don't know if your party guests went out to dinner, had a big or late dinner at home or if they have eaten nothing since lunch and are starving. When you have 144 to prepare for you plan BIG! The last thing you want to do is run out of food. But to have this much left, oh my. What are we going to do with it all? All of a sudden a collective light bulb went off within the activities team. We'll feed em' again tomorrow!

We cleaned up and the team members went home.

Bob and I were invited to our friends, Wilf and Marilyn's house for an after party, party, so we didn't get home until three a.m. The bed looked mighty good when we finally got home.

Family, friends......HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: