Monday, February 1, 2010

1/30/2010 Bluegrass in the Desert

Bob and I went to the 24th Annual Pinal County AGRI-COUNTRY Bluegrass Jamboree, Arts & Crafts Bazaar, Car Show & Tractor Pull. Whew, that was a mouthful!

We got there around one in the afternoon and I wish we had gotten there earlier, much earlier. There were some acts I would have liked to have listened to and shows I would have liked to have seen had we only known the days schedule.

After the rain we’ve had it was nice to get outside and spend some time in the sunshine.

After paying our admission to the Pinal County Fairgrounds we walked through the Car Show section. Nothing unusual about this Car Show. Lots of restored “muscle cars” a whole slew of Avanti’s, which to tell you ya truth, I don’t even remember this car even though they were made from ‘69 through ‘84. I don’t think it was an especially nice looking car but evidently there is a local Avanti car club because there were 7 or 8 all lined up in a row.

Getting back to cars I know, I took some pictures of pretty classic car show entries.

IMG_3187

Of course there has to be a really old car painted an orange-y red, I think its a law.

IMG_3188

And then there is the banana yellow car or truck with flames, another car show staple.

IMG_3186

All the vehicles were pretty much standard car show entries. That’s not to say there weren’t some outstanding looking cars, lets give credit where credit is due, but all in all pretty much a run of the mill car show. Until we saw this…..

IMG_3167

IMG_3166

IMG_3168

IMG_3170

This rust bucket drew a lot of lookers and gave everyone a few chuckles.

The Budweiser Clydesdale horses were at the fair but we didn’t get to see them in full harness pulling a wagon or anything. I did take this one picture of one of them. We were just amazed at how BIG this horse was. If I stood next to him I could not see over his back. I would be looking at this side because I’m just not tall enough otherwise. Now that I think about it, Bob wouldn’t have been able to see over his back either. He is 19.1 hands. That’s 77 inches, six foot five! We are talkin’ one big horse!

IMG_3176

I didn’t know until we were leaving that there was an area on display from the Civil War era. Local folks dressed in period costume and demonstrated how tasks were completed back in the day. I had seen this couple earlier in the day and took their picture because I was so “surprised” at the way they were dressed. Not knowing this demonstration was taking place they just seemed out of place to me.

IMG_3175

After watching a few acts on the outside stage and taking in what all the outside vendors had to offer and being tantalized by the aroma of kettle corn, deep fried turkey legs and corn dogs on a stick, it was time to move into the main pavilion.

Lots of booths were set up here and many I remembered seeing at the street fair a couple of weeks ago. I could have had a two minute back massage if I had wanted one and I could have bought some miracle dry skin cream if I was so inclined and I could have even gotten a years subscription to the Arizona Dispatch newspaper. Dozens of sun catchers were on display and i could have bought wall metal work in the shape of chili peppers, a bucking bronco or the standard southwest kokopelli. Actually, I could have spent a fair amount of money, which is why I didn’t bring any. However, I did collect a few business cards so I can place an order from the web sites.

There was one booth that I was especially fond of. I watched this young lady at her craft and looked at the finished products of her trade with awe. She is one talented lady.

IMG_3178

IMG_3179

She had dozens and dozens of framed dried flower “pictures” on display, each one more beautiful than the next.

IMG_3180

After perusing all the wares offered for sale I moved to the back of the building where the stage was set up. Bob was already there listening to the lively bluegrass music. I’m not a great fan of bluegrass so I didn’t last too long here.

IMG_3181

While I am amazed how fast they can play those banjos and fiddles, well, it just isn’t my cup of tea. Bob, on the other hand…..

I soon had enough of this and wandered back outside just in time to see the world famous,,,,drum roll please……DOGGIES OF THE WILD WEST SHOW!

IMG_3184

I took my place in the bleachers and watched these little chihuahua’s and terriers do their thing.

IMG_3190

IMG_3191

Here’s “Calamity Jo” balancing one of the pups on her head.

IMG_3192

Balancing seemed to be a big thing with this show, here’s on the dogs balancing itself on ONE PAW. It really was pretty amazing.

IMG_3174

Audience participation was a big thing and some kids were taken out of the audience so that this little Jack Russell could show off his jumping ability.

Clearing two kids was no problem.

IMG_3196

The challenge was upped by one more…..

IMG_3198

…..and this little dynamo cleared them with no problem.

IMG_3199

I thought four bodies was going to be bit much for those short little legs …..

IMG_3200

……but he proved me wrong with room to spare.

IMG_3201

Afterwards, he waited patiently for his treat.

IMG_3203

These dogs, and their owners of course, have appeared on Leno, Letterman and Animal Planet. They are all rescues and travel the bluegrass festival circuit.

So that was our exciting day. Practically knocks your socks off doesn’t it?

2 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

Wow! That looks like about a perfect day as you can get...thanks for sharing!

LaVon Baker said...

Whoa, What happened to my socks?!!!

I just love it when you go to fairs, street fairs, bazaars and dog shows. I feel like I went with you! Your journaling is the best!