Monday, February 15, 2010

2/15/2010 Winter Olympics, Day 1

Our Winter Olympic Games started today. No downhill skiing, speed skating or snowboarding here. No, our games are a bit more on the tamer side.

This, our first day of a weeklong event, opened with Men’s Ping Pong.

IMG_3313

Last year’s Gold medalist Bill T. giving it his best shot.

IMG_3320

IMG_3342

Bill and Arlee share a huge high five after their match.

IMG_3344

This is going to be a busy week for me because I’m the “official” photographer for the Winter Olympics. That would be fine in itself but its a little difficult when two events are scheduled for the same time and one of them I’m even involved in with another to follow. So I had a busy Monday!!!

Our friend Wilf in his quest for gold….or at least a medal. In the end he didn’t end up in the top three but he had fun all the same.

IMG_3341

Our buddy Neil finished either first or second but I’m not sure which as I type this.

IMG_3358

While Men’s Ping Pong is going on, so is Ladies Pool, an event I signed up for.

IMG_3317

I had started this season playing pool on Monday nights but then I got sick with that flu type thing going around for a few weeks and I missed three weeks and just never went back. Oh boy, did my pool playing show lack of practice!

Of course it didn’t help that my opponent did the break and I was left with this! What was I supposed to do with this?

IMG_3336

While we take our pool playing seriously,,,,,,,,

Here’s Barb T. taking her shot.

IMG_3326

We also know its a time for friends to get together and spend some time,,,,,,

Nel A. and Jean B. take a break from their game to pose for me.

IMG_3329

And then there’s time for “play'” too,,,,,,

Here’s Marlene showing us all how she can chalk her pool stick with only one hand.

IMG_3337

So, I didn’t take Gold, or Silver for that matter. In fact I wasn’t even in the running for Bronze. Oh hell, if the truth be told I wouldn’t have even qualified for a medal made out of a lid from an old tin soup can, but the laughs I had and the great time spent with friends was worth more than any ol' medal.

As it turned out, Deanna took the Gold Medal.

IMG_3339

My friend, Donna, sizing up the table for her next shot.

IMG_3338

So these two events are over and we roll right into the Domino event.

Here is where we play Mexican Train.

IMG_3355

Every players dream, the “perfect” train.

IMG_3346

Here’s Sig. Sig is one my favorite people here in the park. There is a group of us who play Mexican Train together quite a bit and I like to sit next to Sig. When he messes up my play I grab his suspenders and pull it out way out and let it go….just my way of showing my displeasure at this choice of plays. Sig is just a great guy!

IMG_3360

My friends Janet and Betty waiting on their next play.

IMG_3368

Now, here in Arizona, we take our Mexican Train very seriously.

IMG_3349

But of course not EVERYONE takes the game so seriously….

IMG_3369

and some….well, some just don’t know what NOT to do when I’m around with camera in hand! Especially, when I’m around with camera in hand because I also write this blog and anything and everything is fair game,….. Oh Bill, will you never learn?

IMG_3363

So there was day one in Quail Run’s Winter Olympics. A great start to what promises to be a great week!

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

Love ALL of your pictures! You do a great job.