Saturday, February 20, 2010

2/20/2009 Winter Olympics – The Last Day

Up until this last day we had the perfect week. Today was overcast, windy and we had intermittent showers.

I started the day, at nine, with the Basketball Throw. Once again, I haven’t touched a basketball since last year, and oh my, did it ever show. I didn’t too badly during the practice shots but didn’t do squat when it counted! No gold for me! Or Silver. Or Bronze.

We both signed up for darts and neither one of did especially well in this event either.

From darts it was out to the Quail Run Lake, which has since dried out from our monsoon like rains from a few weeks ago for the Frisbee Throw. I could not wait for this event to be over. It was cold, windy and spitting rain. I didn’t place in the medal count for this event. Neither did Bob.

The Games, officially over, we returned home until it was time for the Closing Ceremonies.

We returned around 12:30 so that we would be sure to get seats.

IMG_3565

The medals, all lined up waiting to be given out.

IMG_3566

There were 20 events in our Winter Olympics, 123 participants and I don’t know how many coordinators, activity staff members and others who all worked so hard to make sure it came off as well as it did.

After the United States and Canadian flags were brought in and both anthems sang it was time to get down to the business of medal awarding.

Now I took pictures of every single event winner but I’m not going to put them all on here. However I will post some because of the people in them. They are friends of mine and some want their families to have the chance to see them with their medals during the ceremony and they didn’t have cameras with them. So bear with me.

Now I haven’t mentioned this so far but both Bob and I finished in the medals. Between the two of us we took one gold and two silvers.

I took silver for Ladies Horseshoes! I threw better than I ever had before and was inched out of first place by just one point.

IMG_3580

Cactus Carl ran the event for Darts and my friend Warren took Silver.

IMG_3596

Below are the ladies who were the medal winners for Darts. The Gold Medal winner, Carol (center) threw her practice shots and didn’t even get any to stick but when it counted she got a total of 74 points which is very good for three darts from what I’m told. I believe I heard “Buddy” (left) say that she had never played darts before and she took Silver. Our friend Donna came in with the bronze.

IMG_3597

Ahhh, Sig, my favorite guy in suspenders took Gold for dominoes. My other good buddy, Warren took Silver. I play dominoes with these fellas often. Joe and Shirley W were the coordinators for this event and did an excellent job!

IMG_3598

Here I am on the platform again. I took Silver for the ladies side of dominoes. My good friend, Betty, took Bronze. The Gold medal winner couldn’t be there so we just held her medal up.

IMG_3599

Bob took Gold in Ladder Golf!

IMG_3608

The Peacock of the Park, Don, is dealing with a bum leg right now and is on crutches. Rather than fight the crowd getting to the medal area he asked Wilf to do the presentation of the medals for him. Wilf thought it was only fitting that he arrive in “Don style”.

IMG_3616

Since it is customary for the event coordinators to sit on the platform when pictures are taken Wilf placed Don’s crutches in that special place. Mike Wright took Gold, Neale Stuart took Bronze and not pictured, Bill Turner took Bronze. Congratulations guys for great ping pong playing!

IMG_3619

Our friend Peg couldn’t be at the awards ceremony so Bonnie did the next best thing!

IMG_3620

Betty took Gold in the Putting event. She’s not a golfer but she does play mini golf every Friday. Sharon Danielson took Silver.

IMG_3627

Time came to put the Olympic light out and the honor went to Jerry who lit it just a week ago.

IMG_3638

…..and so the Games are over for another year. What a great week this was!

Bob and me with our medals.

IMG_3642

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Wow! you guys have so much fun there! Almost sounds like a fairy tale type of life. It's so nice. Congrats on the medals!
Tracy