Thursday, May 13, 2010

5/13/2010 A JOY to be Outside! No Wind!

The weatherman was right, the winds were going to calm.

It was so strange to wake up to….to….quiet this morning. No howling wind. Not even a hint of a strong breeze.

Bob spent the early part of the day washing the side of the rig that hadn’t been done yet. Now our whole rig is nice and clean and shiny again.

I spent an enjoyable time in the sunshine out and about taking pictures.

Before we had ventured out we heard a helicopter circling round and round but we didn’t know why. When I walked over to the Inlet and saw this, I then knew what the helicopter was for.

IMG_4851

A week ago Monday a man supposedly drowned while fishing here at the Inlet. The story goes when he didn’t return home his wife came to the Inlet and found his truck but he was nowhere to be found. The question now is, is he a drowning victim (?), a kidnapping victim (?) or did he walk away from his life as it was on his own? Everyday the Coast Police is out here looking for a body. A little later they actually came ashore with dogs to smell all around area. The fishermen were asked to step off the sidewalk so the dogs could to their job. I guess this was to see if they could pick up the man’s scent to see if he actually walked away or not. The didn’t seem to find anything of ordinary that I could tell.

IMG_4876

I decided to walk out to the beach.

The ocean as seen from under the Inlet Bridge.

IMG_4852

The new bridge has a way to go.

IMG_4853

Algae.

IMG_4856

This is the stone wall on the other side of the Inlet, you can get an idea of how rough the water is at the mouth of the Inlet from these pictures.

IMG_4857

IMG_4858

The stone jetty with one lone fisherman at the end. I don’t like walking out there because it can be dangerous. If the water breaks over the jetty the rocks get very slippery.

IMG_4860

Getting closer to the beach.

IMG_4863

In a few weeks this will be covered in blankets, large towels and colorful umbrellas.

IMG_4864

A better look at how rough the entrance to the Inlet is.

IMG_4865

IMG_4866

Do you see ME?

IMG_4869

Any bird watchers out there? Can someone tell me what kind of bird this is? Some kind of Gull I’m guessing, I’ve never seen this before.

IMG_4871

IMG_4872

This is Marvin. When I passed him on the way out to the beach I asked him if he had caught anything, He said no and I kept going. On the way back I asked if he had gotten a big one yet and I got a thumbs up! He was happy to show me what he caught.

IMG_4873

IMG_4874

This is a good sized striper! Good job Marvin!

IMG_4875

Here we are set up on our site for the summer.

IMG_4877

I spent the evening at Cindy’s watching Survivor. She came down to the beach today so that we could watch Survivor together and spend some time with each other this weekend. What a great friend she is!

Before I close this I want to give you an update on my friend Susan. You first heard about her HERE. On Tuesday she had her left lung removed. When she called me Wednesday afternoon she sounded like she hadn’t done anything more strenuous the day before than go on an all day shopping spree with a handful of gift cards. I was totally amazed! She sounded wonderful. She was upbeat, she was happy, truly on top of the world. Her whole journey with lung cancer has been with a great attitude and full confidence that she would beat this. And she has! The doctor’s are quite confident that they got it all but just to be sure she’ll take two more rounds of chemo and then its time to sit back and watch her hair grow. I’m so happy for you Susan and so proud of you for the fight you put up! But then again, I expected nothing less from YOU!

4 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

Wonderful, amazing pictures and I love them all, but the sweetest news is about Susan. We are rejoicing with you. She sounds like an amazing person.

LaVon Baker said...

There's a very serious bird watcher across the road from us. I'll ask him if he can identify your mystery bird when I see him.

LaVon Baker said...

Maybe the mystery birds are from Iceland and migrated away from the ash to your coast area.

Vera Lewis said...

Welcome home, Snookie. See, I did read your blog! Hope to see you and meet Bob soon.