Saturday, May 15, 2010

5/15/2010 A Pretty Day in the Neighborhood

What a nice day we had today. Sunny, just right temps and low humidity. It couldn’t have been any better if I had special ordered a spring day.

I helped Bob get a fishing pole “re-strung” (?), we put new fishing line on it. He tied whatever it is fisherman tie, I’m pretty lost beyond worms as far as bait is concerned. I know he has all kinds of rubber worms in a rainbow of colors and things with feathers and little wooden fish with hooks on them. Like I said, put a worm on the hook and I’m happy. Notice I didn’t say “I’ll” put a worm on the hook, oh no, no, no, I don’t do bait.

I sat in the sun for awhile reading and talked with some neighbors and just enjoyed the day.

Bob helped one neighbor fix a rearview mirror on his rig and a short while later the fellow brought this over as a thank you to Bob.

IMG_4884

Later in the afternoon Bob went to another camp host site and tried to get Directv dish lined up with the satellite for our new friend. As far as he could tell he was spot on but no numbers would register on the TV itself for satellite reception. There are lots of things you can do with the remote to test for the different problems one encounters with a satellite TV setup. However, Bob is not the one who should call the customer service department. No patience. Even less than me. The fellow we’re trying to help evidently isn’t any better with customer service departments than Bob is so I went over to make the call. The customer service rep, happily at work in Montana and not Pakistan or Indonesia, walked me through all the steps to the tests to try to determine the problem. Forty minutes later it was determined that it was an equipment problem and a service call was set up. Unfortunately, they won’t have TV until Wednesday because lots of service calls were placed because of the bad storm we had last night.

Once again our Phillies were smokin’ and won another one.

After dinner I was on the computer and came across one of the lead news stories featured on my home page. I read it and had so many emotions run through me in the course of the few paragraphs that I had to read the accompanying blog. You see, Al Hayes and his wife Katy became parents for the third time this past February. It was a home birth (which had NOTHING to do with the outcome) and four days later Katy went to the ER for abdominal pains. They had called a nurses hotline two times prior to the ER visit and was told both times that it was normal post-partum discomfort according to the information they were provided. This certainly seemed logical at first but then Katy just knew something was wrong. It turns out she had a Strep A infection and in order to save her life her husband had to make the decision on whether to have his beloved wife’s limbs, all four, amputated or not or just let her die. I cannot even imagine having to make a decision like that. I had to read the blog. I’m sharing a link to it so that you too can follow the amazing story this couple has to tell. There is really a lot to learn here about being the advocate for your loved one when such major decisions have to be made. This woman is not given an aspirin without him knowing WHY, WHEN and HOW MANY. He is on top of everything and even suggests tests that need to be done in order to be proactive in her care rather than reactive to problems that arise. This story is inspirational, heart wrenching and the sweetest love story you’ll ever read about all rolled into one. I highly recommend reading this blog but be prepared, you’ll read in utter disbelief, you’ll read while smiling broadly, you’ll read through tear filled eyes and when you’re caught up you’ll sit there and say to yourself, “These two are so lucky to have each other.” Click here to read Katy Is Strong. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments: