Friday, May 28, 2010

5/27/2010 Here A Turtle, There a Turtle

We are being over run by TURTLES! The loggerheads are coming into the sandy areas of the campground to lay their eggs.

IMG_4975

Bob was out weed-whacking the playground area when he noticed them and came back to the house telling me to grab the camera that the turtles were laying their eggs.

IMG_4974

Turtles were running around everywhere….

IMG_4973

IMG_4976

I was almost sorry Bob came to get me because I didn’t like what was happening after the turtles went on their merry way after covering their eggs. See this bird?

IMG_4978

IMG_4979

This bird thought he was going to eat those eggs. Uh-uh, not on my watch! I kept scaring him away and he kept coming back. I must have spent 15 – 20 minutes out there standing guard over these buried turtles to be. Bob had been watching me and came over and said, “Snookie, its nature, its what happens, you gotta go home.” Reluctantly, very reluctantly, I left and when I walked away I didn’t have the heart to look back. Did that big black bird fly in when I was just fifteen feet away and feast? I don’t know and I’m better off not knowing.

Later on in the day this little 5th wheel set up camp. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one this small. It was a couple with a large German Sheppard and good sized chocolate Lab. Had to be really crowded in there.

IMG_4985

Our neighbors who are just “fishin’ fools” were out cleaning their catch.

IMG_4966

These guys brought a chest freezer with them and have gone out and bought another one while here because they are catching so many stripers or you may know them as rock fish.

IMG_4967

A thirteen pounder.

IMG_4968

Bob and I have both put in an hour each today. Bob weed-whacked a bit that didn’t get done earlier and I went around with Annie, a fellow camp host to do the reservation cards this morning. We pull the cards for those leaving today and put up the new cards for the new people coming in. This is a job that I will do on Saturday mornings.

That was our work day. Tough life ain’t it?

1 comment:

dreamjosie said...

Oh Snookie. I know what you mean. Last week I saw a turtle come out of the pond by our campsite, dig a hole and, I think, lay eggs. I couldn't see too clearly as I didn't want to get too close. But she was squeezing something out. Later, the whole was covered with dirt and leaves.

That evening, 2 Sandhill Cranes were strolling around and got very close to that spot, so I shushed them away. Funny Fred said the same thing as Bob. But I tried anyway.

Looks like activity is ramping up on your job. Don't work too hard.

Jo