Sunday, May 9, 2010

5/9/2010 More Winds, More Traffic School

Let me start this by saying Happy Mother’s Day to all the mom’s that read this. To my own mom….I love you so very much! If I had the choice of who was going to be my mom, I’d pick YOU!

The wind here is relentless! There is usually an ocean breeze here but this is that breeze times a thousand!

I’m glad I have the traffic school to finish up because I wouldn’t be going out in this anyway. Bob is braving the elements to see what the fisherman are doing. Yes, there are some diehards out there but I don’t know how can even cast with this wind.

So I settled in to finish “Bob’s traffic school”.

I did a chapter on what to do in case of accident and how to avoid said accidents. I had to chuckle when I read this.

IMG_4847

In the middle of a chapter having to do with making safe turns I found this.

IMG_4848

In another chapter that was discussing the use of low beam headlights versus high beams with a bit of fog lights thrown in, I found this.

IMG_4849

Of course the importance of mirrors would have to be discussed in any traffic school worth its salt. Double click on this so that you can get a good look at the mirror in this one. Of course there is something to laugh about in the written part too.

IMG_4850

OK, I had done all the chapters, passed all the quizzes with the trick questions and it was time for the test. I clicked on “Take Test” waiting for the skull and crossbones to appear and to hear the demonic HaHaHa, go to the UPS store, but it didn’t happen. The test came up! YAY! I can take it here!

Twenty five questions, notes ready, let’s do it!

Seventeen minutes later I was done. I got 24 out of 25 right and if I hadn’t gotten so confident at the end and had read the question slowly I would have seen how it was actually worded and I would have aced the test. All in all, “Bob” is now a graduate of the Improv Traffic School. We printed out his “diploma” for faxing to the court tomorrow.

I have to admit, I did learn something from taking this course. We spend a lot of time in the truck, belted into our seats, when we are in travel mode and I have a hard time with the seat belt rubbing up against my neck. Being claustrophobic doesn’t help either with having this strap across me. What I do at times is put the strap under my arm where it is much more comfortable. That is a big NO NO! I found out that if in an accident that strap is capable of tearing the aorta from the heart if pulled tight enough when the impact is hard enough. Nope, won’t be doing that anymore, otherwise the strap that is supposed to save me will actually kill me. I guess one of one those lambs wool covers is on my shopping list now.

After dinner of pork chops we settled in for a night of TV and listening to the howling wind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been following your blog for several months now - going back to the beginning. I read your "Safety School" and got a good laugh. So I thought I would quit lurking and offer a tip on the "seat belt" being to tight. I have the same problem. I pull the seat belt out as far as it will go, then clip 2 wooden clothes pins on the seat belt up next to the top. If you're in an accident the clothes pins snap off and the seat belt tightens at the same time. Works for me - hope it helps.

Now, since I can't join you on the road yet, I'll keep lurking and you can keep all of us wannabes entertained until we can get out there.
Dick in Arkansas