Sunday, June 17, 2012

6/27/2012 What Would YOU Name a Boat?

If you had the task of picking out a name for a boat, what are some of the ones you’d consider? Would you name it after a special person in your life? A play on words? Have you ever named a boat? Neither Bob or I have had the opportunity to do that. When I was a teenager my parents had a boat but I don’t recall that it had a name, in fact, I’m pretty sure it didn’t.


A few days ago I received a comment from reader, Hobopals, saying that she enjoys the clever names that some come up with for their watercraft. There are some clever names in this marina too. So today I walked around part of the dry dock area and three of the docks to come up with today’s selections. Later on in the season I’ll walk the rest and see what else I can find.


Now I’m sure marina’s all across the land have their share of …..


IMG_1990


and…..


IMG_1991


I’m sure that Sarah and Tina Marie were just thrilled to have boats named after them. If these boats were bought used and the old adage about never, ever changing a boats name holds true, then I have to wonder, if the new owner’s wives aren’t named Sarah or Tina Marie exactly how does that go over? Do the new co-owners of these boats understand the bad luck that follows if you change a name from Tina Marie to Amber Lynn? Or Sarah B to Emily G? I don’t know how I’d feel if my husband’s fishing boat sported another woman’s name.


On to the clever names.


In fishin’ speak this one just tells you to take it easy.


IMG_1959


Here’s another play on Reel.


IMG_1960


I’ve heard this one belongs to an OB-GYN.


IMG_1983


Perhaps two buddies went in on this one or maybe it’s a husband and wife. Or maybe it means something completely different.


IMG_1984


I liked this one.


IMG_1980


I talked with the owner of this next boat and asked him how he came up the with the name. He said that when he bought it he was asked what the name was going to be and his reply was, “Good grief, I don’t know.” And Good Grief it was.


IMG_1981


As a side note he went on to tell me that he was in a fishing tournament and there was another boat, identical to this one from Jersey. Same year, same model, mirror image, right down to the name….good grief!


Maybe the time spent away from the city and on this boat reflects this name.


IMG_1982


I do have to wonder, if Long Island is surrounded by water, why is your boat in a marina approximately three and a half hours away?


I talked with another fellow on a boat named Foolish Pleasure. I asked him if in fact it was a foolish pleasure. He chuckled and told me to ask his wife that question. He finished with, “It used to be a foolish pleasure, now its just foolish. Damn boat is nickel and diming me to death.”


I wonder if this boat belongs to a psychologist or a psychiatrist?


IMG_1985


For you total landlubbers, grouper is a fish.


There are several boats in this marina with this name.


IMG_1986


I hear it’s the equivalent of Jennifer in the boating world.


Another one I really liked.


IMG_1989


A play on words.


IMG_1992


It was cold at the ramp today. Well, chilly. The few boaters I had didn’t stay out long and when they returned they were chilled to the bone. I spent a good portion of my time watching the ramp from the marina store window going out only when I had to. These overcast days are for the birds. Bob only worked two hours as the boaters just weren’t out today. I think it being Father’s Day played a big part in that.


1 comment:

Donna K said...

Enjoyed reading those boat names. We have boats when we were younger. Never named them but should have called them Money Pit 1, Money Pit 2, etc....