Sunday, June 3, 2012

6/3/2012 Major Storm Coming Through

It wasn’t a crazy busy day today at the boat ramp. The weather here is just so-so. Storms are being called for with high winds. I put my time in this morning but left around eleven o’clock because there just weren’t any boats there. Bob went in and he had less than me and he was sent home early.


We were sitting inside the house just hanging out and Bob decided to check on our weather forecast. Seeing what was coming in the near future hours he decided to go out and start putting stuff away that the wind could get ahold of. While out there a new neighbor came over and said to Bob, “I’ve been watching birds fly in and out from under your slide today so you may want to look and see what they are doing.


IMG_1857


Sure enough, the swallows have been busy.


IMG_1856


It sure didn’t take them long to get this nest together. Dare I say it took Bob even less time to destroy it?


The two ladies next door to us were sitting out in their yard with their lap dogs and seemed oblivious to the impending storm. Being familiar with just how fast these storms can develop over water I went over to let them know what was coming so that they could prepare and stow the many things they had outside. That was my intention anyway, give the weather update and leave. That’s not what happened.


They were sitting on the far side of their trailer and I walked around it to see them. I was not prepared for what I saw. In fact, it stopped me in my tracks and I just said, “I have to get my camera.”


Returning just a minute later I was still at the point of standing there and shaking my head in disbelief. Here’s what I saw.


IMG_1859


IMG_1858


Dogs with sunglasses! Dogs that were not fighting to get them off! This is a first for me.


I know one of the ladies is Joyce and one of the dogs is Colby. I had their names written down and I have looked high and low for that piece of paper and cannot find it anywhere.


I finally got the weather report to them and by this time the breeze is getting a little stiffer with each passing minute.


The brunt of the storm didn’t hit us until around 9p.m. and when she hit, she hit hard! The rain came down in sheets and according to our neighbor, Jim, and his weather doo-hickey, whatchacallit, thing-y he has on the roof of his rig, the winds peaked at 50 mph. We have no doubt the winds were blowing that hard.


Storms are no fun in an RV.

2 comments:

Russ Krecklow said...

You know you've been there for awhile when the birds make a nest under your slide! HaHaHaHa

Dogs with sunglasses...never saw that before. Glad you took the photos.

Thanks again for sharing. Hope your weather improves soon. It's raining here today, but only off and on.

Unknown said...

And you thought I was nuts for wanting sunglasses for Duncan. Just Sayin