Wednesday, June 27, 2012

6/27/2012 Shrimp Boil

(Rehoboth Beach, DE)


Since cousin Ronnie has been so generous with his grilling skills we decided to host dinner here tonight and have a shrimp boil.


While everyone was at the beach today I went to the grocery store to get the shrimp, red potatoes, corn on the cob, mussels and onions. When I got home I chopped, sliced and diced so that everything would be ready later in the day to cook. I couldn’t do the beach a second day in a row so I used the day to get caught up on laundry and did odds and ends around the house.


Everyone present, food cooked, table set, we sat to chow down on a shrimp boil.


IMG_2217


Melissa wanted to try the mussels but was unsure if this was something she really wanted to do.


I know this because she spent a long time just looking at on the end of her fork.


IMG_2219


It took some coaxing from her dad but she finally let it pass her lips.


Wanna guess if she liked it or not? I think this next pic tells the answer.


IMG_2220


I think it may have even brought a tear to her eye.


IMG_2221


To be fair, Melissa should probably try mussels again. Yeah, like that’s gonna happen! You see, I cooked them and the recipe called for white wine which I didn’t have. I had to make a substitution and rather than try to substitute the flavor of the wine I based my substitution on color. As in clear. Like water. Yep, instead of a cup of wine I used water. Hey, it was clear and it started with a W! I could tell from the look on Ronnie’s face when he tried them that the mussels left a lot to be desired. I mean it all but screamed, “Geez, these mussels suck!” So Melissa, try them again when someone else makes them.


No sunset this evening. I mean there was one, I just didn’t see it.

1 comment:

michael ultra said...

Most of the boil looked great, but I'm with Melissa on the mussels. yuk!